"Lesley Pollock has 'a rare combination of skill, expertise, and the ability to empathise and advise'."
(The Legal 500)
Lesley is a highly experienced property specialist, with both commercial and residential property experience since her admission as a solicitor in 1980. She specialises in high value and complex property transactions, including those for high net worth individuals and charities. Lesley also possesses technical expertise relating to the practical operation of the Charities Act 2011, in relation to property acquisitions and disposal.
Lesley manages our well-regarded Residential Property team in the Oxford and London offices and our Charity Property team in the Oxford office.
- Acting for a charity in relation to the substantial acquisition of a multi-let multi-use commercial property in London. This was by way of grant of an intermediate head lease, subject to the various occupational leases to form part of its endowment funding its operations. The transaction was to a tight timescale. Lesley managed a team of property, construction and corporate lawyers and also the input of the charity’s specialist advisors to bring the acquisition to a successful conclusion with a value of over £9 million.
- Disposal for a high net worth individual and his pension fund of a residential property and substantial agricultural land holding for a price in excess of £8 million. There were eight registered titles and the transaction was made more complex due to some land and other residential properties being retained. This necessitated negotiations in relation to cross rights and responsibilities and the apportionment of the entitlements to Basic Farm Payment. Achieving exchange of contracts and completion would have been considerably more difficult, were it not for the excellent working relationship established with the other solicitor, so that difficulties encountered (for example title issues) were dealt with collaboratively – with solutions being proposed and agreed as the issues arose.
- Disposal of a listed manor house and land with a value of over £4 million. Advance preparation of the title and enquiries package, and providing search results to the buyer’s solicitors, resulted in an exchange of contracts within a week of the memorandum of sale being issued. What could have been a stressful situation for the seller was kept to a minimum by careful advice and liaison with the selling agents. This ensured that any likely issues were addressed in advance of the property being brought to the market.
- Acquisition of a farm including 200+ acres, listed farmhouse and buildings, riparian and railway frontages and entitlements. The case involved dealing with various title and agricultural issues and was settled at a value of over £3 million.
- Advising a national charity in an urgent situation where a property was sold at auction by solicitors acting for another charity that was the joint owner. However deficiencies in the documentation resulted in non-compliance with the provisions of the Charities Act 2011, and the national charity became aware of the deficiencies at the point they were being asked to execute the transfer to the buyer. The matter was resolved by redrafting the documentation and providing practical advice to the solicitors handling the transaction, so that the completion was successfully achieved without undue delay. If not addressed carefully, the deficiencies could have resulted in a void transaction and/or losing the buyer.
- Acquisition of a property in the Oxford area for high net worth non-resident individuals. Contracts were exchanged within a tight timescale (7 days) and finance requirements were dealt with between exchange and completion. The case settles for a value of over £10 million.
- Refinance transaction for a charity. The work included managing a team including banking and corporate lawyers to advise on the charge documentation. This also involved liaising with the bank’s lawyers to satisfy their due diligence requirements and timescale. The case had a value of £10million.
- Acting for an offshore company in relation to the acquisitions of various farms to add to a landed estate.
- Documenting property restructure, including terminating and granting leases and freehold transfers for a group of offshore and onshore companies and trusts.
- Numerous acquisitions of London apartments for high net worth individuals.
To contact Lesley or for more information…
- Association of Women in Property
- Charity Law Association
“Thank you for introducing us to your Partner, Lesley Pollock. She provided an excellent service for our clients and we achieved all the objectives in hand.”(Client's buying agent)
“You will be aware that there was a tight time frame for exchange and indeed for completion. There was exceedingly good communication between Lesley and my client’s offices in Hong Kong Thank you.”(Client's buying agent)
“Lesley Pollock, who handled our conveyancing, was first rate. We would happily recommend her to friends and use her again.”(Mr & Mrs E, Private Clients)
“I just wanted to say another big thank you for all of your support. These things are never easy and straightforward but your help always makes them much more manageable for us and is greatly appreciated.”(Major Charity Client)
“Not an easy deal, quite a few different parts to organise and document. I am delighted that we managed to get an exchange yesterday, so thank you very much for all your hard work and help in this matter. I know over the last few weeks you have spent many hours trying to reach agreement on the contracts and pull together all the information needed to satisfy the purchaser. In the light of the recent election result I am very pleased that the exchange happened. Thank you again.”(Mr J, Private Client)
“The advice you have given us has been prompt, clear, relevant and kindly delivered, for which we are very grateful and we very much appreciate your decision to honour the original fee estimate.”(Mr and Mrs O, Private Clients)
“Being able to complete the transaction without returning to the UK was fantastic, thanks Lesley Pollock.”
“Lesley Pollock is quick to answer calls, moves faster than others and is good at solving problems proactively. She leads the residential property team in th firm’s Oxford office and assists with the sale and purchase of country houses. estates and high-value residential property in London.”(Interviewee from the HNW guide)
“She is excellent, she is meticulous on the detail, very knowledgeable and what I particularly appreciate is that she is practical and pragmatic in her approach.”(Observer from the HNW guide)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014