Energy & Natural Resources
Powerful solutions for your business
What is involved?
Security of supply, affordability and decarbonisation remain key issues within the energy market. Driven by Europe, the UK has binding commitments to reduce carbon emissions and increase the share of renewable energy. This is unlikely the change in the foreseeable future, even post-Brexit.
Addressing these challenges presents real opportunities, including low carbon generation (small scale to large scale), battery storage, smart meters and appliances. There is also the opportunity to provide services to the transmission and distribution systems, to support them in times of system stress and potentially reduce the need for costly reinforcement works.
We can help you to take advantage of the opportunities based on our extensive experience in this sector.
Why choose Freeths?
- We are one of the few firms with genuine in-depth knowledge of the renewable energy sector
- A wide variety of clients from across the industry including solar, wind and biomass means we are on top of latest developments
- Reliable, flexible, pragmatic and solutions-based advice from a nationally recognised team of lawyers
- We use our experience to see the bigger picture and get deals done within what are often very challenging timescales
We are experts in:
- Renewable energy projects, particularly solar, onshore wind, biomass and anaerobic digestion
- The financial mechanisms supporting renewable energy projects
- Regulation and licence compliance in the energy sector
- District heating schemes, both gas and biomass fired
- Power purchase agreements
Increasingly, we are involved in battery storage projects, a relatively new market for which the regulatory structure is still being formed. This raises a range of issues from identifying the revenue streams to addressing health and safety issues.
Our Renewable Energy Team is made up of experienced lawyers from across the firm, covering real estate, planning and environmental, construction, commercial, corporate and disputes management.
Energy & Natural Resources Lawyers
0845 030 5747
0845 272 5712
0845 634 2569
Partner & National Head of Dispute Management
0845 050 3661
0207 440 5849
0845 050 3619
0845 404 1754
0792 013 5552
0845 166 6305
0845 030 5759
0845 404 1739
0845 030 5734
0845 017 1122
0845 634 2579
0845 077 9567
0845 404 1727
0845 030 5766
0845 274 6820
0845 073 8583
0845 030 5739
Freeths shortlisted for Legal 500 UK awardsNews 29th Nov 2017
Case Law Update: Red Kites bring down major wind farm applicationArticles 13th Jan 2017
Aggregated Micro Power Holdings acquisitionNews 19th Dec 2016
"As a Developer and EPC Contractor for photovoltaic plants, we are delighted with the services provided by Freeths. They provide the full range of legal services we require throughout the development and construction phases, with a high quality standard and timely response. In a market as demanding as the photovoltaic market, Freeths is the reliable, flexible and solution-oriented partner we want to have by our side."
(Developer and EPC Contractor, solar PV projects)
"First rate partner led service. Freeths has expertise in all areas relating to energy projects and provide their services seamlessly from their network of offices."
(Developer and funder of wind and solar PV projects)
"The Freeths Energy Team provides an excellent and responsive service. They have all the necessary experience and expertise to cover our legal requirements as EPC and O&M Contractors and as we expand our business in the UK."
(Major international contractor undertaking solar, gas and diesel generation and battery storage projects in the UK)
"The team at Freeths have the necessary experience and expertise to advise on complex district heating projects from start to successful completion and do so in a commercial and proactive manner."
(Developer and installer of district heating schemes)
- Preparation and negotiation of documents for the development of an energy from waste facility; rail sidings agreements and associated documents; development funding documents (both by way of traditional forward funding and ground rent structures); hotel operating arrangements; mineral leases.
- Advising on the National Agreement for the Engineering Construction Industry (NAECI).
- Advised a leading provider of smart Pay As You Go energy on its standard terms of business. He also advised on its long-term (25-year) meter rental arrangements with a leading UK meter operator (and involving third party funding from a market leading investor).
- Advising a leading European supplier of LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) on its standard terms of business, ensuring compliance with supply licence requirements.
- Risk management review for owner of thermal power station in relation to the construction of a biomass facility.
- Advising a global player in the PV sector on $multimillion claims brought against them for allegedly defective modules installed at a solar farm. Avoiding formal arbitration proceedings was key to the client’s future restructuring plans, which impacted on the tactics for negotiation in order to achieve settlement on commercially acceptable terms.
- Advised a leading UK supermarket on the contract for the design, installation, testing and commissioning for roof top solar panels.
- Damage to infrastructure that transports both gas and electricity often involves multiple parties and legal issues. These range from the liability of main and subcontractors to potential claims in both contract and negligence. One claim involved a seven figure dispute with three parties and issues regarding liability and quantum.
- Acting for the shareholders in the sale of project company developer of Europe’s largest floating solar array on the Queen Elizabeth II reservoir.
- Representing solar developer clients on the site set up of solar farms, preparation of option agreements and lease documentation. Preparing certificates of title for funders for a shovel-ready site for onward sale.
- Advising on the sale of Loucetios Energy to an international investor group.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014