Health & Care
Giving the right support
What is involved?
Our cross-disciplinary specialists are active in working with both private care operators and public health providers. We are at the forefront of legal developments within the health and care markets and understand the challenges imposed by changing regulation, financial markets and attitudes to funding.
Whether you’re an NHS Trust, part of the new generation of ‘not for profit’ providers, or a private operator, we’re aware of the intense pressure you’re under.
With greater co-operation between public and private provision – for example in joint ventures between the NHS and private providers – understanding the sector from both perspectives enables our team to provide relevant, commercial advice.
Why choose Freeths?
- An active involvement with over 80 public health bodies and 20 top private care operators and developers
- Our expert knowledge of the regulatory regime helps us give legal advice that is relevant to you
- We can advise on a broad range of matters – including real estate, employment and disputes
- You can trust us to advise on sensitive high profile claims, high value transactions and complex regulatory matters
- Receive clear, cost-effective solutions, delivered on time in a clear way with the minimum of fuss
With our in-depth experience of the health and care sectors, we can guide you professionally, practically and expertly with the care, sensitivity and attention to detail essential to the healthcare sector.
Call us know to see how we can help you.
Who we work with
- NHS Shared Services with over 80 participating health and care bodies
- NHS Property Services
- NHS Commercial Alliance
- Community Health Partnerships
- LNT Group (incorporating Ideal Care Homes)
- Target Healthcare REIT
- Maria Mallaband Care Group (incorporating Countrywide Care Homes)
- Country Court Care
Health & Care Lawyers
0845 030 5747
0845 634 9799
0207 440 5849
0845 166 6300
0845 050 3645
0845 128 6954
0845 050 3647
0845 050 3602
0845 128 6984
0845 077 9660
0845 017 1122
0845 050 3660
Partner & Head of Competition
0845 128 6997
0845 050 3697
0845 030 5758
0845 274 6848
0845 274 6900
0845 404 1749
0845 404 1727
0845 050 3650
0186 578 1145
0845 030 5737
The Future of Care – Manchester Care EventNews 19th Oct 2017
Emergency Services Honoured at Top Awards CeremonyNews 6th Oct 2017
Perinatal Institute v Healthcare Quality Improvement PartnershipArticles 22nd Aug 2017
"Really committed to getting difficult deals done."
"We are grateful to Freeths' Health care team for accepting instructions on an urgent basis and ensuring that we retained our commissioning contract despite an appeal by a competitor. Attention to detail and the support provided throughout was first class although the fee paid was fixed."
"Freeths LLP’s 'attentive' team combines 'industry knowledge with legal expertise and wealth of experience' to deliver 'first-rate advice and great background research'. It acts for care home operators as well as banks and private equity investors on financing projects in the health and social care sectors."
(The Legal 500)
"James Larmour is advising Care UK on its joint venture with Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust for the provision of services at Shepton Mallet’s new health and wellbeing campus."
(The Legal 500)
"Property specialist Jon Smart, who has 'superb technical knowledge and a can-do attitude', assisted One Housing Group with the development and lease of a luxury care home in Chelmsford."
(The Legal 500)
"I have used Sam for many of my property transactions and have found him to be thoroughly professional. His service levels are second to none and all at a reasonable price to boot. I would recommend him highly for all those looking for a property lawyer."
(Sanjiv Jagsi, Director, Oakdeane Investments Limited)
"Jason was immensely helpful in helping me deliver a really strong contract , manage the GPs, and he remained eternally patient."
(Chris Botten, former Programme Director at NHS Surrey)
- Care UK Clinical Services, independent provider of health and social care, joint venture with Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust on a large and complex clinical servicing outsourcing scheme.
- Successfully handled long running high profile case for a Mental Health Trust involving a Trade Union representative which involved long periods of industrial action.
- Market firsts include refinancing and sale & leasebacks on ‘triple net’ leases involving US REITs and high profile care home group reorganisations and refinancings.
- Acquisition by Maria Mallaband of the entire issued share capital of Acer Healthcare; one of the largest private company acquisitions in the sector, with loan funding from US REIT, HCP Inc.
- Advising LNT Group, One of the UK’s leading care home operators, on a deal with Oakdale Care Group and Target Healthcare REIT on forward commit contracts for the development and sale of 4 purpose built residential care homes for the elderly.
- Dealing with a conditional development agreement for a 66 bed care home in Birmingham for rapidly expanding care home operator, Country Court Care Homes. This was significant because the existing home on the site was decrepit and about half full with residents so project needs to be sensitive and phased to allow for minimal disturbance and successful relocation of the residents into the new home.
- Acting for Oakdeane Investments, an investor in medical centres across the UK, on the sale of a number of medical centre investments to Assura Health Investments Ltd, which included real estate aspects of the transaction.
- Advising Care UK, one of the UK’s largest independent providers of Health and Social Care. on all aspects of its £10 million joint venture with Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust to run services at a new Somerset Health and Wellbeing at Shepton Mallet. This included structuring of the contract for provision of services, subcontracting and property arrangements. This was a significant and complex deal featuring a unique joint venture arrangement and contracting structure for the delivery of the services, combined with a signification property interface with NHS Property Services.
- One Housing Group is a London based social housing provider, owner of around 20,000 units in London and the South East, set up a new care home business trading as Baycroft, to build and run luxury care homes to provide income to support the main business of One Housing. Freeths care team advised on an aagreement for £6 million development and 35 year lease of brand new luxury 64 bed care home.
- Acting for Maria Mallaband Care Group, one of the UK’s largest operators of care homes on a very significant acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Acer Healthcare in one of the largest private company acquisitions in the sector in 2016. This involved loan funding from HCP Inc. a US REIT.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014