Overview of current and proposed steps for marine environmental law in the UK
The Freeths’ Environmental team are delighted to host a webinar on the current status of marine protection in England and will consider some of the key priorities and next steps for enhancing nature recovery and biodiversity in the marine environment and how this can be aligned with offshore industry growth.
Date: Tuesday 3 October 2023
Time: 10:00am – 11:00am
Location: Via Zoom
Join our experts as they discuss what this means as they provide an overview on the following:
- Current policy and targets for marine environmental protection and recovery.
- Opportunities to balance nature recovery with increasing marine development.
- Next steps in establishing a marine net gain regime, how such a regime will work in practice and its integration with wider policy.
- The role of protected areas, including Highly Protected Marine Areas, in the marine environment.
- Impacts of potential changes to the Habitats Regulations and Offshore Habitats Regulations on the marine environment.
- The recommendations made in the recent report on marine mammal protection.
We are also running a more detailed ticketed half-day “Introduction to Marine Environmental Law” legal course, if you would like more information, please register your interest here and we can send you details of the costs and content.
Helen Mitcheson is an associate in Freeths’ environmental law team. Prior to qualifying as a solicitor, Helen worked as an environmental consultant working with offshore developers and as a marine mammal scientist. Helen is a Deputy Director of the not-for profit Cet Law and a Member of Council of the UK Environmental Law Association and the Mammal Society. She was listed on the inaugural ENDS Power List of 100 environmental professionals in 2022.
Richard Broadbent is a director in Freeths’ environmental law team and was the former Head of Legal Services at Natural England. Richard is a highly distinguished environmental lawyer and has worked on a number of high-profile nationally significant infrastructure, planning, and species licencing cases.
Testimonials from Freeths LLP’s 2023 courses
- “The event was well organised… The presentation was engaging, and topics covered were useful, informative, and interesting…”
- “I’ll be highly recommending it to friends and colleagues”
- “Great – impressive that the course material was updated to cover the very recent update to the legislation”
- “An excellent course – pitched perfectly and extremely informative”
- “Let’s have more of the same, great courses as always”
If you’d like to receive further updates on marine law or hear about upcoming events, direct to your inbox please click here to subscribe.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014