Competition Law & Antitrust Claims
Protection for your business
What is involved?
The issue – With competition authorities’ inspection powers and techniques expanding, companies need more than ever to ensure compliance with UK/EU competition law. Infringements carry severe consequences for companies, directors and staff, including huge fines, criminal prosecutions, significant reputational damage and competition litigation claims.
The regulators – Companies can infringe UK/EU competition law by engaging in cartels or other restrictive business practices, or through behaviour constituting abuse of dominance. This can lead to antitrust investigations and enforcement action by competition authorities against individual businesses. The authorities also conduct wider market investigations.
Investigation strategies – During an investigation, businesses need to make difficult decisions very quickly on how best to protect and defend themselves. Companies under investigation need strategic legal advice and expert support to understand the risks they face and protect their rights throughout.
Civil compensation – The courts can resolve competition law disputes as an alternative to regulators handling complaints and antitrust litigation has increased significantly in recent years. The evolving remedies landscape facilitates the recovery of damages by victims of anti-competitive behaviour. Companies involved in such disputes require practical advice to protect their business relationships, to challenge the dispute and avoid litigation through alternative dispute resolution procedures.
Why choose Freeths?
- We regularly advise clients on complex issues of EU/UK competition law, including on large-scale antitrust litigation and investigation strategy
- We have considerable legal-services in advising dominant and non-dominant clients on antitrust risk in relation to their conduct, agreements and business practices
- We have broad experience of acting for clients throughout antitrust and market investigations conducted by competition regulators in the EU and the UK. This includes advising on Dawn Raids, leniency applications and cartel investigations.
- We are well placed to deal with antitrust disputes. Our competition litigators have significant experience of acting for both claimants and defendants, including on follow-on damages actions. We have strong links with major litigation funders in the UK and are experienced in establishing funding solutions tailored to clients’ commercial needs and objectives
- We advise clients on recovering compensation for losses they suffer due to competition infringements – claims can be substantial, and various litigation funding options are available to help finance strong claims
Contact our experienced Competition team to find out how our lawyers can help your business.
Competition Law & Antitrust Claims Lawyers
0845 077 9581
0190 835 0200
0845 128 6997
Competition AlertArticles 21st Sep 2018
Digital Competition Law Compliance: Online Selling Practices under the SpotlightArticles 20th Feb 2017
- Advising a leading construction company on the application of EU and UK competition law to a major rail project.
- Advising and training a myriad of major companies on competition compliance, including on cartel investigations, and in relation to joint ventures and commercial arrangements with competitors, customers, licensees and suppliers.
- Providing rapid first line support in the event of a Dawn Raid, drawing on dedicated on-call Dawn Raid Response Teams from our 11 offices across the country.
- Advising a vertically integrated, global business on a leniency application, and on the application of EU and UK competition law to its dealings with competitors and retailers.
- Advising a food sector client on an abuse of dominance claim under EU and UK competition law alongside a procurement challenge, involving complex cross-border competition and procurement issues.
- Advising a grocery retailer on the implications of including exclusivity arrangements within land agreements.
- Acting for AMEC (in consortium with Washington and Areva) on the competition aspects of their successful bid to the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority for the £1.3 billion pa Sellafield contract.
- Assisting a number of businesses and organisations in bringing competition damages claims against the major truck manufacturers following the European Commission’s EU truck cartel infringement decisions.
- Advising a UK company in relation to a high profile cartel/price fixing investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority in the steel tanks market (including on related follow-on damages claim issues).
- Advising a well-known client in relation to a large antitrust damages claim against the major payment systems operators.
- Representing clients throughout CMA investigations, including Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance plc throughout CMA/CC Private Motor Insurance Phase 2 market investigation and OFT Phase 1 market study.
- Advising a well-known fashion retailer on the European Commission’s e-commerce sector inquiry and its implications for a dispute with a large department store.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014