Corporate and M&A Disputes
Resolving complicated corporate disputes
What is involved?
A significant part of our litigation practice revolves around disputes arising from M&A transactions involving complex warranty and indemnity claims, pricing disputes, earn out disputes, wrongful withholding of retentions and tag-along and drag-along rights.
We also advise on all types of corporate disputes arising out of shareholders agreements, joint venture agreements and minority shareholder claims.
Why choose Freeths?
- These cases often feel very complicated, however with our experience we are able to cut to what matters so you can ‘see the wood for the trees’. This also helps us to manage costs effectively.
- We advise our clients against points of principle in favour of focusing the most advantageous outcome within the constraints of the law.
- We are outcome focused and renowned for trying to keep disputes out of court through negotiation and alternative dispute resolution. This can be very advantageous in these cases because there are often ongoing relationships to manage. However, we play to win and don’t hesitate to take a hard line and drive forward cases when appropriate, whether in court proceedings or arbitration.
- Our team has over 20 years’ experience lawyers advising a diverse range of clients. They include international PLC, FTSE 100 companies, AIM listed companies to small privately owned companies. With all our clients, we do everything we can to act in your best interest to resolve the dispute faster, better and cheaper than our competitors.
Corporate and M&A Disputes Lawyers
- We acted for a private equity firm following the part purchase of a company. The seller was in breach of a series of complex warranties and indemnities. We pursued the seller for a claim for £15 million. Confidential settlement terms were agreed without proceedings being required.
- We recovered through court proceedings and negotiation significant sums for a seller whose retention was being wrongfully withheld based on allegations that the customer base had been grossly exaggerated at the time of sale.
- We advised a corporate buyer on a breach of warranty claim where holes in the stock and the accounts were apparent after acquisition.
- We defended a company in a post M&A dispute in relation to a claim by the sellers for an earn-out payment.
- We successfully recovered substantial sums for a shareholder who had been promised shares but the shares had never been allotted.
- We successfully defended a technology company from a minority shareholders claim following a rights issue.
- We successfully acted for a director and shareholder wrongfully excluded from the operation of the company.
- We have advised shareholders on their rights under Shareholders Agreements and how these interact with rights in the Articles of Association.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014