International Litigation, Mediation & ADR
Cross-border dispute resolution and overseas business
What is involved?
Our team has significant experience in complex, cross-border disputes and relationships. We understand the management of large, high profile disputes, including those where interim relief is required and/or enforcement is a key issue. We represent clients based in the USA, Europe, the Middle East, the Far East, Africa, and offshore jurisdictions in contentious situations involving a wide range of overseas jurisdictions.
We also assist clients doing business overseas at the contracting stage, in particular advising on risk management and law and jurisdiction provisions, and regularly provide training to client commercial and legal teams on cross-border contracting issues.
Why choose Freeths?
- Significant expertise advising on cross-border relationships and disputes around the world, including in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, India, China, the United States and South America
- Pragmatic, commercial solutions: our team gives you answers not options
- We listen to what you want, we deliver on time and to budget. We tell you from the outset what our advice will cost and we keep our promises
- We review situations quickly, often advising on an initial telephone call, to prevent potential issues escalating into fully blown disputes
- We are with you for life: we don’t just advise when a dispute arises, but are on hand to assist with negotiation and drafting, interpretation, termination and to answer any questions you have in relation to your contracts and how you can make them work for you
- We are in it for the long term: we want to get to know you, we invest time at the outset of our relationship to understand your business and your objectives so that we can tailor our approach to suit your needs and make sure that we are available whenever you need us
Our Approach to Cross-Jurisdictional Advice
We have a number of clients whose business extends beyond the UK and who we assist with international issues as they arise. We have established a network of relationships with partner law firms internationally, each of whom we work regularly with and trust.
We work with local experts who are best placed and qualified, with both the specific legal and sector specific expertise necessary, to provide the particular advice and expertise that you require. This means that you obtain a seamless service, irrespective of the jurisdictions involved, and access to the most appropriate local experts for your own particular requirements.
We ensure that any work undertaken by our overseas partner law firms is carried out to the same standard and representing the same excellent value for money as if we were providing the advice ourselves and manage that relationship for you.
We are equally comfortable working with your preferred local counsel and regularly act as co-counsel with leading local law firms on cross-border disputes.
"Has real knowledge of her subject."
"I can highly recommend Tristan for his professional advice and help in resolving issues that require his specialist knowledge. He is always happy to be of assistance and I feel reassured I am in safe hands and that he will work hard to resolve the matter in question."
"During my time at LF Logistics Mark worked on a number of Commercial disputes for us and I always found his approach, level of service and advice extremely professional. I would highly recommend Mark's services as he significantly helped LF Logistics through some very challenging commercial situations."
(Richard Hill, Senior Vice President, LF Logistics)
- Acted as part of large and highly skilled internal, client and Counsel teams for a leading international company, providing critical industrial services across the UK, Middle East and Asia Pacific. This matter related to insurer led multi-million pound contribution claims flowing from historic asbestos disease liabilities. The litigation involved challenging issues around subrogation, indemnitees, insurance law, product liability, agency, confidentiality, insolvency and privilege.
- Defending a substantial claim issued in the High Court in London relating to the supply of defective fabric by a Turkish company. The case involved a complex paper trail and issues such as security for costs. We had to adopt a robust defence and pursue security for costs, because the claim was spurious and because of its impact on a family run business with many High Street retailers.
- Represented a world leading technology company in a complex multi-jurisdictional dispute with one of its distributors. Our tenacity secured a six figure payment and the opportunity of a new business relationship going forward.
- Assisting a UK plc in connection with a £100 million+ dispute linked to its disposal of an offshore subsidiary, including advising on both the underlying trust dispute together with complex chains of contractual indemnities and the related insurance coverage issues.
- Representing a Turkish airline in Commercial Court proceedings commenced by a lessor, following the catastrophic failure of the leased asset during a commercial passenger flight.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014