"Thanks for your diligent assistance...your number will be the first one we call."
Ben is a solicitor with experience of a wide range of contentious matters. These include breach of contract, unjust enrichment, professional negligence, construction, insolvency and company disputes. He has a particular interest in intellectual property and related areas including copyright, trade marks, designs, database rights, passing off, confidential information and data protection. He also has experience of defamation and privacy law.
Ben has advised a wide range of clients including individuals, companies, schools, universities, charities, local authorities and professional regulators.
Ben is always keen to assist clients in avoiding protracted litigation by negotiating settlements on a commercial basis or by attending mediation. When the need arises, however, he is happy to pursue cases to trial, where, alongside his colleagues, he has a track record of success. Where appropriate, Ben also carries out advocacy in the lower courts.
Intellectual Property & Media
Ben has experience of a wide range of contentious matters, with a particular interest in intellectual property and related areas including copyright, trade marks, designs, data base rights, passing off, confidential information and data protection.
- Acting for an individual defendant in a complex claim for breach of copyright and breach of confidence in relation to computer software. Ben assisted with defending this case against an opponent with far greater financial resources all the way to a High Court trial which found in the defendant’s favour.
- Acting for corporate clients in carrying out trade mark clearances and within trade mark opposition proceedings. In acting for a US-based tech company, Ben assisted with the conduct of complex opposition proceedings against a FTSE 100 company involving several EU and UK trade marks and the negotiation of a co-existence agreement.
- Securing the removal of online material which infringes intellectual property rights or is defamatory.
- Acting for a retail client within the fashion industry in relation to the alleged infringement of unregistered design rights.
- Advising on the impact of obligations owed under a contract of employment on the ownership of copyright in computer software.
- Advising on a wide range of breach of contract and unjust enrichment claims, including those relating to telecommunications, manufacturing, transport and storage, and residential construction.
- Advising in cases involving professional services, including claims relating to the recovery of surveyor, estate agency and accountancy fees, as well as professional negligence actions in relation to such areas.
- Advising individual and corporate clients on defamation actions and reputation management issues, including cases with an international element and in a political context.
- Assisting insolvency practitioners with various claims, including preferences and transfers at an undervalue, and conducting advocacy before the County Court where required, e.g. in relation to company restoration and the examination of directors under oath.
- Acting for a charity client in a claim relating to allegations of disability discrimination under the Equality Act 2010. Ben advocated on behalf of the charity in the County Court and assisted with negotiating the settlement agreement concluded following mediation.
“Thanks for your diligent assistance…your number will be the first one we call.”(Commercial Client)
“Thank you for the work you have done…I think your approach and tone are exactly the one we need to take, and I appreciate how sensitive you’ve been to the situation.”(Individual Client)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014