Managing Partner - Nottingham & National Head of Commercial
"Chris Freeston is 'a very capable lawyer' whose calm and reassuring manner impresses clients. He specialises in real estate and project finance."
(Chambers & Partners, 2017)
Chris is an experienced, pragmatic lawyer with an eye for detail and a highly commercial approach.
He offers sound advice about Banking & Finance, including all areas of corporate lending, with a particular focus on property and construction finance and debt restructuring. He also has extensive experience of advising on all aspects of project finance transactions including PFI, infrastructure and energy projects.
Chris is a key partner at Freeths and is well known for showing great commitment to his clients.
Chris has extensive experience advising on commercial contracts. Recent examples include acting on a multi-million pound haulage contract, supply agreements and agreements for the outsourcing of soft and hard services.
Real Estate Finance
Chris has extensive experience advising lenders and businesses on all aspects of real estate finance matters. He can assist clients with corporate structuring, funding and loans. Chris offers a calm and commercial approach and has been praised for having a sophisticated understanding of his area.
- Advising a non-bank lender on its corporate structuring and funding as well as the vast majority of its loans.
- Acting for a student accommodation developer and operator on total loans in excess of £100 million including both development and investment facilities.
- Advising the borrower on a £55 million loan facility secured against a mixed use portfolio.
Banking & Finance
- Acting for Bridges Fund Management on the £84 million acquisition of the Evans Easyspace portfolio of 50 serviced office centres from Regus Plc.
- Advising the issuer on a £100 million mortgage bond issue secured against a portfolio of commercial properties.
- Acting for the lender on a £150 million debt portfolio secured against a mixture of investment and development properties and the subsequent restructuring of the same.
- Acting for the developer on a £100 million funding and profit share arrangement with a leading property Plc. This included a mezzanine facility for the development of multiple projects.
- Advising the borrowing group on £37 million of loan facilities to refinance existing indebtedness and finance the development of a 350 bed student development.
“I have worked with Chris on an extremely important deal to my business where a successful outcome was crucial. The task was complex and required a sophisticated understanding of corporate and finance law but also commercial sense to engender an agreement that all parties could live with. Chris’s skills and knowledge perfectly suited the task and I would not hesitate in deciding to work with Chris again.”(Development Director, Henry Davidson Developments Limited)
“Chris has acted for the bank on several complex transactions recently. His accessibility and experience allied to the efficient manner in which he dealt with the borrowers’ legal teams were key to getting these deals delivered to tight deadlines.”(Property Finance Manager, Irish Bank Resolution Corporation Plc (formerly Anglo Irish Bank Plc))
“Chris Freeston First ranked in Chambers UK 2014. He represents clients across the spectrum of corporate lending, specialising in project finance and property work. Sources affirm: ‘Chris is very easy to get on with and always on hand to give sound, pragmatic advice’.”(Chambers & Partners, 2017)
“Chris Freeston has a particular expertise in debt refinancing, as well as in construction and property finance. Clients are impressed by his ‘strong commercial insight,’ his ‘drive to get things done’ and his ‘pragmatic approach to dealing with issues and finding solutions’.”
“…Particularly active on transactions in the real estate sector, and has extensive experience advising on financing for student accommodation. Clients say: “He is a clear and effective communicator with a sharp legal brain. Importantly he is commercially minded, with a clear understanding of client aims.”(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
“Chris Freeston, who is experienced in major multi-jurisdictional financings, has ‘an unflustered, sensible approach, and looks at the bigger picture’. He ‘has a mind for detail, but takes a commercial view to overcome problems’.”(The Legal 500, 2017)
“Chris Freeston is a key partner at the firm, with notable expertise in property finance. Clients report that ‘Chris offers effective, practical and commercial advice. He shows great commitment to his clients and is always available’.”(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014