Christopher specialises in commercial disputes with particular expertise in breach of commercial contracts, breach of trust, professional negligence actions, shareholder disputes and disputes involving tax issues. Christopher also represents clients in complex disputes involving allegations of commercial fraud and cross-border issues.
Christopher’s clients range from high individuals to businesses in a range of sectors, including IT, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, manufacturing, distribution and construction.
Prior to joining Freeths, Christopher practised as a legal costs expert, which provides invaluable insight and understanding in terms of the cost implications of a dispute for his client.
Christopher represents clients in mediations and arbitration proceedings as means of alternative dispute resolution.
Commercial Dispute Management
Christopher is regularly instructed by corporate and individual clients in relation to commercial disputes including issues relating to payment, defective goods, and contracts for services, consumer disputes, tax and defamation.
- Represented an e-commerce business in a dispute against a website developer for failing to provide a website according to an agreed specification.
- Acted for a company in the construction sector for non-payment of invoices. This claim included a significant counter claim for the failure to provide goods which were of satisfactory quality, necessitating complex expert evidence as to the structural integrity of the product.
- Represent commercial lenders in a breach of contract claims which include taking possession of secured assets.
- Successfully represented a company which provides cosmetic and weight loss surgery services in a defamation action which could have resulted in serious harm to its reputation.
- Acting for a company which manufactures bespoke products for blue chip clients in a dispute where one of its contractors exploited confidential information by selling a similar product in breach of a confidentiality agreement.
Christopher has experience in dealing with disputes against charitable organisations where the trustees have breached their fiduciary duties to the charity’s beneficiaries.
Representing a client who made a restricted donation to the Garden Bridge Trust and, in breach of trust, has not received a refund following the high profile and acrimonious collapse of the Garden Bridge project. This case has generated significant attention in the national press and in the House of Commons.
Banking & Finance
Christopher is experienced in handling disputes involving complex allegations of commercial fraud.
- Acting in multi-party, multi-million pound proceedings which involves the fraudulent use of loan arrangements to avoid tax.
- Representing a company client in arbitration proceedings which includes allegations that its commercial agent fraudulently falsified invoices in order to extract money from the principal company.
- Acting for a company in which a director fraudulently stole and redirected over £1.5million from the company bank account for their own gain over the course of a number of years. Christopher is pursuing the company’s accountant for failing to recognise and identify the fraud when auditing the accounts.
Christopher has represented UK companies engaged in disputes with companies based in foreign jurisdictions, including the USA and the UAE.
- Represented a company in the web security sector in a multimillion US Dollar dispute with a software company based in the USA.
- Represented a UK national in a shareholder dispute with a company based in the UAE.
Christopher represents clients, both individuals and corporate clients, in relation to professional negligence issues.
- Acting for an individual in a claim worth £700,000.00 against an insurance broker who negligently failed to give full disclosure of relevant flooding events which rendered an insurance policy void in relation to further flooding events.
- Acting for an individual client who was given negligent advice as to the tax treatment of the proceeds of the sale of shares in an engineering company worth over £100,000.00.
- Acting for a company in which a director fraudulently stole and redirected over £1.5million from the company bank account for their own gain over the course of a number of years. Christopher is pursuing the company’s accountant for negligently failing to recognise and identify the fraud when auditing the company accounts.
To contact Christopher or for more information…
Chris is a good, decent guy with a strong business and legal brain. He is on the ball 100% and whenever I have an issue, he is on to it quickly.
Chris was a calming and reassuring voice at the other end of the phone which helped take the stress out of the situation.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014