"Just a huge thanks for all your help and support. It’s been a difficult few years. The award has helped us bring closure and some comfort. Thank you!"
Claire works with Karen Reynolds and Naomi Solomon as part of the Clinical Negligence team based in Derby and Stoke-on-Trent. Claire completed her training contract at JMW Solicitors LLP, before joining Freeths. She also has prior paralegal experience from a defendant perspective in insurance fraud at DWF LLP, and in claimant personal injury at JMW.
In Claire’s free time she is Marketing and Social Media secretary for the Derby Junior Lawyers Committee, and enjoys volunteering for spinal and brain injury charities such as Headway Derby and the Spinal Injuries Association. She is also an active mentor as part of Derbyshire University Law School Mentee programme.
Claire has specialist experience of cases including birth injury and acquired brain injury, delayed/incorrect diagnosis of cancer, cauda equina and incorrect treatment; and is praised as being approachable, patient and sympathetic to their circumstances and needs. Claire is also fully accredited and supported by The Foundation for Infant Loss.
Claire has experience of a wide variety of Clinical Negligence cases including;
- Birth injury to baby, acquired brain injury and cerebral palsy
- Birth injury to mother including perineal tears and psychological injury
- Cauda Equina and spinal injury
- Misdiagnosis and delay in diagnosis of cancer (and other conditions)
- Testicular and fertility claims
- Claims relating to loss of vision
- Bacterial infection cases including strep B, sepsis and meningitis
- Surgical errors
- Failure to treat cases
- Incorrect treatment cases
- Achieved a £32,500 settlement for a child who had suffered permanent damage, ongoing pain and tissue loss to her ear. This was following a bandage being wrapped too tightly and negligent aftercare following surgery leading to necrosis of the tissue.
- Achieved £20,000 settlement for a client whose coeliac disease had remained negligently untreated for a 13 year period, contributing to development of osteoporosis and increased risk of fracture.
- Achieved £20,000 settlement for a client who had suffered significantly and permanently reduced vision in one eye as a result of incorrect diagnosis and delayed treatment of glaucoma.
- Claire also recently achieved £72,000 in compensation for a patient who had received negligent treatment by Roger Bainton, Consultant Maxillofacial Surgeon, who has since been struck off. The Claimant had developed degenerative change in her jaw joint and would require prosthetic jaw joint replacement as a result of the negligent treatment.
Acquired Brain Injury
Claire assists Karen Reynolds, and also personally represents parents whose children have suffered brain damage and cerebral palsy – as a result of negligent care provided in the antenatal period, during birth or at any point during the course of their life.
- Claire is currently assisting Karen Reynolds with acquired brain injury claims following birth, or infection including Strep B and meningitis.
Claire personally represents, and assists Karen Reynolds, on claims relating to cerebral palsy acquired at birth due to negligent treatment by midwives and doctors at hospital.
- Admissions of liability were recently achieved for a 12 year old boy, and a 13 year old girl who both suffered brain damage and cerebral palsy at birth due to negligent medical care. An interim payment has been obtained for each client, pending full valuation of their claim. Children with cerebral palsy require future care, specialist equipment and adaptations to their home, in these cases compensation will help these children and their families live their lives more comfortably and with the appropriate equipment and support they need.
Delay in Cancer Diagnosis
Claire personally represents people who have suffered a delay in diagnosis and/or misdiagnosis of cancer. She acts for those who were diagnosed and treated for cancer but did not in fact have the disease. Claire also represents the families of those who have sadly since died resulting from negligence relating to their delayed treatment.
- Claire is currently acting for a number of people with a variety of cancers including breast cancer, colorectal cancer, bowel cancer and Hodgkin lymphoma, and the associated complications relating to delayed diagnosis and treatment.
- Claire recently received an admission of liability relating to a client whose tumour was clearly evident on a number of scans, yet was not diagnosed for a further 9 months.
Cauda Equina Syndrome
Claire has experience of cases of clinical negligence resulting in spinal injury including Cauda Equina.
- Claire has experience of acting for a client against a hospital trust who had suffered various red flag symptoms of Cauda Equina syndrome including numbness of the inner thighs and buttocks (saddle anaesthesia), excruciating lower back pain and pain in one or both legs, which had been missed. As a result of the delayed diagnosis the claimant suffered ongoing pain, difficulty mobilising and incontinence.
- The Foundation for Infant Loss
“Claire took over our case from a colleague who left the firm. When this happens it can cause concerns due to the relationship you have already built up with someone. However we did not need to be worried. From the start Claire was very professional, knowledgeable, efficient, caring and understanding of our needs. We would highly recommend her.”
“Just a huge thanks for all your help and support. It’s been a difficult few years. The award has helped us bring closure and some comfort. Thank you!”
“I use [Freeths LLP] instructions and documentation as a gold standard against which to measure other companies.”(The Legal 500)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014