Partner & National Head of Real Estate
"Darren Williamson is head of the firm's national real estate group, and focuses on commercial property matters. He has notable strength in portfolio management, and also advises clients from the logistics sector on substantial leasing arrangements."
(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
Darren is a trusted, reputable lawyer with fantastic organisational skills and knowledge of commercial needs. As well as having a wealth of experience acting for major retailers and investors, his expertise in project management helps clients handle time and budget restraints. He specialises in food retail development, commercial development and investment fund management.
- Acting for a large supermarket on acquiring various regional distribution centres across the country.
- Acting for an opportunity fund in respect of circa £50 million worth of office acquisitions (via 3 sites in Bath, Sheffield and London).
- Acting for Liberty Property Trust UK on their mixed use site at Kings Hill in Kent, in relation to various matters including residential land dispositions.
- Acting on a property and business sale for £60m involving over 70 properties and 200 tenants.
- Acting for a sustainable fund on the purchase of an £85 million portfolio acquisition.
- Acting for Chancerygate, an industrial developer, on various industrial purchases, sales and forward fundings.
Darren has wide ranging experience in retail, acting for a variety of retailers of various products over the years. He specialises in the food sector and has been the corporate real estate counsel for a leading supermarket for the last 7 years. He is used to working through the full supply chain on high street, shopping centre and retail park product, together with office and RDC/industrial.
- Acting for a retailer on the acquisition of its RDC hub of circa 450,000sq ft in Bolton.
- Acting for a retailer on the acquisition of various other sites for RDC hubs.
- Co-ordinating over 30 store acquisitions for a leading supermarket retailer a year.
- Co-ordinating a capital raising programme for a retailer for circa £150 million.
- Chairman of IPF Midlands and Board Member since 2012
“I have known Darren for over 8 years having worked with him when I was at Standard Life Investments and in my position at Ediston Properties. Simply put he goes the extra mile. He is always responsive, detailed and is more akin to a project manager than a typical lawyer. Working with Darren is like having all the resource of a large firm in-house, I get answers when I want them, presented how I want them with a true appreciation of the commercial context. He makes himself available whenever the work requires it and takes direct responsibility for delivery of service.”(John Watkins, Director, Seven Capital)
“Mr Williamson is amongst the most proactive, knowledgeable and driven solicitors I have worked with. This is particularly attested to by the fact that near all my legal activities have been undertaken exclusively by the said over the past two years. Not only does Mr Williamson provide sound legal advice, which one obviously expects, but also such advice is afforded with a genuine appreciation of the commercial context in which the advice is given. This is invaluable. I would recommend no other ahead of Mr Williamson.”(Jason Davis, Director, Quora)
“His attention to providing excellent service is exemplary, and his advice is always sound and commercial.”
“National head of real estate Darren Williamson ‘is very commercially minded with a can-do attitude, and is quick to grasp concepts and understand how this could affect the client,’ according to sources. His respected practice is centred on commercial development and portfolio management.”
“Darren Williamson is known for his experience in portfolio management, sales and purchases. One client remarks: ‘What I like is that he gets involved on our work on a day-to-day basis, and I can pick up the phone and he’ll know what’s going on at any given time’.”
“Department head Darren Williamson has a strong commercial development practice. Commentators highlight his technical skill, commercial awareness and ‘understanding of a client’s needs in all respects’.”
“Darren Williamson leads the property team at the Nottingham office and is known amongst peers for a ‘pragmatic approach’.”
“Darren Williamson is ‘very energetic’.”(“...a good reputation and is ‘making waves’.”)
“Darren Williamson is a ‘strong leader’ who ‘makes deals happen’ and specialises in portfolio management matters as well as assisting occupiers, developers and funds with commercial development projects, particularly in the retail sector.”
Darren Williamson handles the acquisition, disposition and management of real estate portfolios, as well as commercial property development. Sources aver that his “technical awareness in the legal field is second to none.”(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014