"Freeths' IT team is active on website, software, data protection, cloud computing and outsourcing matters. Nottingham-based Deryck Houghton is experienced across the board."
After an early career spent as an advocate in the criminal courts and dealing with child abuse cases, in the mid-1990s Deryck took an opportunity to change direction into the then still fairly new area of information technology law. He now has over 15 years’ experience in advising on IT law, and related intellectual property matters, for clients big and small in both the commercial and public sectors.
Deryck believes that it is the lawyer’s job to understand the deal in hand, and to look for solutions to problem areas rather than just highlight those problems. He believes lawyers should get to grips not only with the “legal” detail, but the commercial mechanics driving the deal, because this is where the client’s risk is usually to be found.
Deryck enjoys creating and delivering customised training events for clients’ staff, especially non-lawyers.
Deryck was listed as a Recommended lawyer in the Legal 500 (2014 Edition).
IT & Data
Specialties: A lot of experience in the fields of IT systems projects and outsourcing, as well as software/data licensing and e-commerce. He is doing more and more work involving the practical application of data protection and Freedom of Information to client business operations.
- Advised on the licensing, supply and subscription agreements for a new computerised personal biometrics and performance monitoring system for use in fitness and leisure facilities.
- Advised on the “enterprise licensing” of CRM software across the entire group structure of a leading banking group.
- Acted for a logistics company on contract for provision of various computer inventory, logistics support and management services in the UK, Ireland and EMEA.
- Advised on contractual terms for provision of software functionality via “cloud” based subscription service.
- Society for Computers & Law
“I have had the pleasure of working with Deryck Houghton on a wide range of contentious and non contentious legal matters. I have always found that Deryck provides friendly, helpful and pragmatic legal advice in a timely fashion and at a cost that we consider to be good value for money. We have used the services of Deryck for many assignments in the past and will continue to do so into the future.”(Martin McCloskey, Group Commercial Director, Capita Group Plc)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014