(The Legal 500)
Michael is a well-respected lawyer based at our Stoke-on-Trent office, who now works as a Consultant.
He has, over the years, managed the firm’s legal relationship with a wide range of commercial businesses and public sector bodies including Harsco Corporation, Brand Energy & Infrastructure Services, Portmeirion Group PLC, JCB, Goodwin PLC, Norcros PLC, Steelite International PLC, Dudson, Mr Lucky Bags, Britannia Building Society, Ultra Electronics, ATS, Michelin, Bargain Booze, Advantage West Midlands (an RDA), Staffordshire Moorlands DC, Lichfield DC, High Peak BC, Stoke on Trent Sixth Form College and the British Ceramic Confederation.
Michael was a one time member/associate member of the British Computer Society, Chartered Institute of Patent Agents, Institute of Clay Technology and the Institute of Materials. He has lectured and published widely in his field, had a long running weekly column in his local paper on e-commerce and has frequently appeared on local BBC radio and BBC TV West Midlands as an expert in IP (Intellectual Property) Law.
- Settled two £4 million plus software cloning/misuse claims.
- Settled representation and publishing contracts for or with Eric Clapton, David Bowie, Mick Fleetwood, George Harrison, Brian Wilson, Ravi Shankar, Bob Dylan, Ronnie Wood, Spandau Ballet and others in the music industry.
- Advised in relation to the fall-out of the mothballing of a manufacturing facility of national commercial and political importance.
- Transferred several household name trade mark portfolios and associated licences including to household name listed companies.
- Settled the main sponsor agreement with a premier league football club.
- Resolved broadband arrangements with a 32 member Local Education Authority consortium, Capita, Virgin Media and Cable & Wireless.
- Resolved a £500 million claim in the engineering sector in Israel.
- Government prize winning joint outsourcing of ICT functions for three local authorities.
- Established international licensing and supply chain regime in the telecommunications sector.
- Acted for Screen West Midlands in its co-investment in Channel 4’s ground-breaking digital hub in the West Midlands.
- Managed the transfer, novation, consolidation and termination of 450 contracts for ATS on its UK centralisation
- Legal project management for one of the parties and advised on funding and collaborative/shared use aspects of Stoke-on-Trent’s “University Quarter” initiative, including a new build College.
- Advised on and settled shared services arrangements for various public sector collaborations, and unravelled others.
- Replaced a Building Society’s core IT systems, and renegotiated its central IT licences.
- Managed a large legal team assisting a client suffering a “dawn raid”.
- Settled a £350 million supply agreement.
- Settled a royalty dispute with several motion picture “majors” in Los Angeles.
- Negotiated contracts and settled disputes in the defence sector in the UK, Canada and with governmental agencies.
- Reported Cases: Britannia Building Society v Prangley.
“Michael offers a special mix of commercial nous and sensitivity to operational concerns.”(Mark Trillo, Director of Corporate Services, Staffordshire Moorlands District Council)
“…rigorous but pragmatic approach to issues and business minded…skilful and dedicated…efficient management…exceptional and outstanding.”(Hervé Leclercq whilst EU General Counsel for Brand Energy & Infrastructure Services)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014