Emma works in Freeths’ Taxation team and is a lawyer based at our Sheffield office. She specialises in corporate restructuring, exit planning, and mergers and acquisitions. Emma advises her clients on tax efficient legal structures for investments, including the availability of SEIS (Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme) and EIS (Enterprise Investment Scheme).
Emma acts for taxpayers on HMRC investigations and disputes, and is also involved with international tax planning. She can also offer expertise on tax and legal structuring of investment funds.
Emma can advise on the tax, legal and regulatory structure of private equity, on SEIS/EIS and real estate funds for venture capital firms, local authorities and universities.
Emma is involved in negotiating HMRC settlements in respect of EBTs (Employee Benefit Transfers), EFRBs (Employer-Financed Retirement Benefit Schemes), and remuneration trusts and other tax schemes.
She is also experienced in challenging Follower Notices, APNs (Accelerated Payment Notices) and PPNs (Partner Payment Notices).
- Legal and tax advisors to an active seed fund, investing in artificial intelligence start-up companies. Emma’s team drafted all the SEIS funding documents and acted on the investments made by the Fund into the SEIS eligible companies.
- Emma helped structure and drafted the legal documents for an £8 million limited partnership aiming to alleviate the poverty premium.
- Successfully negotiated with HMRC to withdraw Follower Notice and APN penalities levied on our client in respect of a tax avoidance scheme. We also managed to secure a favourable settlement and payment plan for our client with HMRC.
- Reviewing and advising investment documents for the SEIS and EIS issuing companies and SEIS/EIS investment funds.
- Liaising with HMRC as to obtaining SEIS and/or EIS relief.
- Drafting SEIS and EIS investment documentation.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014