Helen works on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious environmental matters, acting for institutional investors, developers, national and multinational corporations, public sector bodies, and individuals.
- Advised the owner of Catfield Fen, a protected wetland in the Norfolk Broads, in a public inquiry into impacts of water abstraction in 2016. The matter was widely recognised as a test case on the application of the Habitats Directive in the UK.
- Helen has substantial experience in providing environmental and planning due diligence and advice on share and asset acquisitions. Notable examples include environmental and regulatory due diligence on the acquisition of a chemicals producer (requiring advice on compliance with EU chemicals, packaging, and hazardous waste regimes, and the control of dangerous substances) and multi-property planning due diligence on a £430m student accommodation portfolio acquisition.
- Helen regularly advises on environmental issues in support of Real Estate and Corporate teams, including environmental permitting; MEES; the control of Japanese knotweed; obligations relating to asbestos; flooding; and the contaminated land regime.
- Regulators Maximise Use Of New Waste Management Powers – June 2019
- New court judgment on Habitats Regulations Assessment: can a competent authority rely on another regulator to avoid HRA?
- What to do if you are affected by Natural England’s decision to revoke, from today, three wild bird general licences
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014