"Jason was immensely helpful in helping me deliver a really strong contract, manage the GPs, and he remained eternally patient."
(Chris Botten, former Programme Director at NHS Surrey)
Jason is a senior commercial contracts and projects lawyer with extensive experience in the Energy & Natural Resources and Health & Care sectors. He qualified as a solicitor in 2000, and he advises both public and private sector clients on domestic and international programs.
He is ranked in the “Legal 500” as a specialist healthcare lawyer. Jason also spent several years practising as a corporate lawyer and has led on a series of corporate acquisitions, management buy-outs, share and asset sales and purchases, joint ventures and restructurings.
Jason has a wealth of experience in PPP transactions, joint venture arrangements, SPV structures and other complex commercial contracting arrangements. He has been the lead commercial partner on a number of PPP projects including a c.£195m integrated musculoskeletal services program in Sussex, UK.
- Advised a leading provider of smart Pay As You Go energy on its standard terms of business. He also advised on its long-term (25-year) meter rental arrangements with a leading UK meter operator (and involving third party funding from a market leading investor).
- Advising an independent licensed water/waste water company on the development of its water connections business.
- Advising a utility infrastructure networks provider on various contracts for the provision of infrastructure installation and connection services – including self-lay arrangements with incumbent providers and developers.
- Advised an international business involved in large-scale EPC (Engineering-Procurement-Construction) projects on various EPC contracts, EPC variations, major supply contracts and international sales representation agreements.
- Advising a leading European supplier of LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) on its standard terms of business, ensuring compliance with supply licence requirements.
- Advising a solar farm developer on the commercial aspects of its disposal of various projects, working closely with colleagues in Corporate, Real Estate and Tax.
- Advising a provider of renewable (solar) electricity on amendments to incumbent EPC contracts and O&M (Operation & Maintenance) contracts.
- Advised High Weald Lewes Havens Clinical Commissioning Group on its procurement of an integrated musculoskeletal service (circa £180 million) using a prime provider model underpinned by an outcomes-based clinical contract.
- Advised a CCG on the management of its circa £230 million contract with an independent sector provider, advising on the day-to-day use of contract levers and mechanisms under the NHS Standard Contract.
Public Sector Health & Care
Jason has extensive experience in the Health & Care sectors, and is familiar with the relevant standard contract forms, policy (including National Tariff), guidance and structures. He has acted for CCGs (Clinical Commission Groups), NHS Trusts, Foundation Trusts, Independent sector providers, NHS England and The Department of Health. He has advised on disputes, transactions, pricing, all aspects of the NHS Standard Contract and on various aspects of primary care.
Jason is an expert in the NHS Standard Contract which, in the UK, is the main clinical contract used by commissioners under straightforward bilateral arrangements as well as within complex PPP structures underpinned by SPVs. Jason has advised NHS England for a number of years on the development and drafting of the contract. He has also advised commissioners and providers on the application of the contract in practice, including how to apply contract levers to manage outcomes and deliver service improvement and transformational benefits.
He also advised the UK Department of Health on the Independent Sector Treatment Centre program c.£2.6bn and took a leading role in NHS Surrey’s community services outsourcing program (c.£500m).
- Advised NHS Surrey on its £500 million deal with Virgin Care Services for the transfer of its provider-arm, Surrey Community Health. Acted as day-to-day project lead and advised on all aspects of the business transfer agreement, the 5-year community services contract, a guarantee bond and extensive ancillary arrangements. He also advised on the impact of national policy and guidance.
- Oversaw and supervised junior lawyers on advice to NHS England on the NHS Standard Contract for 2017/18 (including the short-form contract), working closely with NHS England’s lawyers to develop drafting to reflect updated policy requirements. Jason also advised NHS England on the NHS Standard Contract for 2016/17, 2015/16 and 2014/15.
- Advised the Specialised Commissioning function within NHS England on managed access arrangements with BioMarin and the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. This was in relation to the supply and funding of Vimizim (Elosulfase Alfa), including extensive negotiations with BioMarin.
Energy & Waste
Jason is also a specialist in the energy sector, having considerable experience in the gas, electricity and water sectors. He has worked in-house for National Grid Gas and British Energy, and has completed long-term secondments at BP and Wales & West Utilities.
“Jason is a tenacious and focused commercial lawyer with a breadth of experience in the utilities sector. He is not fazed by the rough and tumble world of commercial negotiation.”(Russell Ward, former Director of Legal & Regulatory Affairs at Inexus)
“Jason was immensely helpful in helping me deliver a really strong contract , manage the GPs, and he remained eternally patient.”(Chris Botten, former Programme Director at NHS Surrey)
“Jason Richards has been a great help in both offering advice and connecting us with specialists in other fields.”(The Legal 500, 2020)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014