“Extremely able and competent.”
(The Legal 500, 2016)
Jill is experienced across a wide range of property disputes, from landlord and tenant issues to matters such as squatters and nuisance claims. She works for a full span of clients, from large corporates to charities and individuals.
Jill also uses her experience in litigation to give smart property management advice, i.e. to assist clients in identifying and resolving potential disputes before they become an issue. She has been recognised for her exceptional experience and expertise in the field of Real Estate Disputes by the ‘Legal 500’ every year for the past 7 years.
Her experience encompasses the full range of commercial and residential Real Estate Disputes work. This includes all types of landlord and tenant issues, rent reviews, breaches of covenants, opposed and non-opposed lease renewals and 1954 Act strategies, dilapidations claims, forfeiture and termination of tenancies, insolvency, possession actions, claims under development agreements, vacant possession strategies, overage and other land contracts, disputes relating to easements such as rights of way, boundary disputes, nuisance and trespass claims.
She also provides regular support for other groups in the firm with real estate issues, including the Corporate, Insolvency and Finance teams, and the unique occupational requirements of the Life Sciences clients.
Jill has expertise in acting for both landlords and tenants as well as parties such as insurers or neighbour disputes. In particular she has acted for some very different clients, ranging from large institutional corporates and trusts to ultra high net worth individuals and charities.
- Advising a lender on the recovery of vacant possession from an insolvent borrower to realise funds to repay a very high value loan.
- Advising the plc head landlord of a multi-let office building on a substantial dilapidations claim and recovering sums from numerous subtenants.
- Acting for a large charity on its central London property portfolio, including the removal of squatters.
- Seeking possession where tenants were in substantial arrears.
- Dealing with numerous breaches of alienation and alterations covenants.
- Acting for a large pension fund on a number of complex inter-related 1954 Act lease renewals on a retail park where each one could have affected the rent for the others.
- Acting for the landlord of one of London’s landmark buildings on a vacant possession strategy for the iconic top floors as well as numerous other issues with other floors let to office occupiers.
- Taking urgent action to remove travellers from a site where a high value sale was due to complete imminently and was in jeopardy due to the unauthorised occupation.
- Acting for a top international retailer in a high value landlord and tenant dispute relating to a
high profile Central London property.
- Defending a major plc against a seven figure claim under a guarantee for outstanding rent and
- Advising the seller on the default of buyer on a £22,000,000 property transaction.
- Acting for the landlord in a high value claim that relates to a mistake in a lease/counterpart.
- Advising an international retailer on a £4,000,000 terminal dilapidations claim.
- Advising on the vacant possession strategy for the developer of a large site in Central London
with a number of secure commercial and residential tenants.
- Acting for a number of landlords on large property portfolios, including advising on lease
renewals, tenant default and insolvency, and dilapidations claims. The properties include
all types of premises, from extremely high-end residential properties to large commercial
or industrial estates.
- Obtaining possession from an extraordinarily difficult tenant of a luxury residential property
for a high value overseas trust.
- Obtaining possession of a large hotel from squatters.
To contact Jill or for more information…
- Property Litigation Association
“Extremely able and competent.”(The Legal 500, 2016)
“Extremely bright and resourceful.”(The Legal 500, 2015)
“Pro-active and very knowledgeable” and “develops a particular rapport with clients.”(The Legal 500, 2014)
“Very on the ball.”(The Legal 500, 2013)
“Client focussed and down to earth.”(The Legal 500, 2012)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014