"Litigation specialist Joey Byrne focuses on contentious insolvency matters, regularly advising liquidators and trustees in bankruptcy on claims against directors and on issues relating to asset recovery."
(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
Joey is based at our Manchester office, where he heads up the Restructuring & Insolvency team.
Joey is listed as a Leading Individual in both the Legal 500 (2019 Edition) and Chambers (2019 Edition).
- Acts for a number of national and regional insolvency practitioners such as Begbies Traynor, Crawfords, KPMG, UHY Hacker Young, Oury Clark, Clarke Bell, Bridgestones, Milner Boardman & Partners and others.
- Recently acted for the English Trustee in Bankruptcy of Alan Geraint Simpson in the recovery of gold and silver bullion in New Zealand. This represents the first use of UNCITRAL (the United Nations Model Law on Cross Border Insolvency) for an interim remedy.
- Acted for the Liquidator of a London based development Company in the case of Stealth Construction Limited  BPIR 1173.
- Acted for the successful Trustee in Bankruptcy in setting aside a fifteen year old transaction in case of the Trustee of The Insolvent Estate of John Owen Napier Lawrence deceased v. John Lawrence & Others  EWHC 2001 (Ch).
- Successfully acted for a Defendant in misfeasance proceedings brought by the Liquidators of TTAB Limited in the reported decision of Mundy and Whalley v. Brown and Trinity Executive Consultants Limited  BPIR 1056 successfully establishing a Quistclose Trust argument as part of the defence.
“Joey Byrne has provided insolvency services to me and my firm for many years. His response and ability to offer a complete service to both me and a number of my creditor clients has not been good, it has been exceptional. I know that whether I am embroiled in legal proceedings or seeking advice that I am in safe hands and dealing with someone that I can rely on and who will address, respond to and formulate solutions to the legal challenges that I face.”(Elliot Green, Partner, Oury Clark)
“Joey Byrne is national head of restructuring and insolvency for the group. He focuses on insolvency-related litigation and is noted for his asset recovery work. One impressed client notes the ‘technical quality of his advice’ as well as his ‘commercial acumen’.”(Chambers & Partners)
“Joey Byrne attracts praise for his ‘commercial approach, very clear thinking and good knowledge of the sector’ on insolvency matters. He is ‘the most commercial of insolvency litigators’.”(The Legal 500)
“‘Popular’ Joey Byrne is seen as a ‘streetwise’ lawyer. He is a competent litigator and regularly advises on contentious issues.”(The Legal 500)
“Joey Byrne leads the national restructuring and insolvency team. He is noted for his expertise in insolvency litigation cases, particularly those involving asset recovery on behalf of businesses and individuals. One client commented that is service was ‘first rate’.”(Chambers & Partners)
“Freeths’ national practice head Joey Byrne handles asset recovery and insolvency litigation matters.”(The Legal 500)
“Joey Byrne leads the restructuring and insolvency team and has over 19 years’ experience in the industry. Sources describe him as an ‘excellent investigator’ and comment that ‘if we have a nut to crack he’s the person we’d employ to crack it’.”(Chambers & Partners)
Department head Joey Byrne has ‘brilliant knowledge, client dedication and response times,’ which he uses ‘to great commercial benefit’. His insolvency practice has a particular focus on asset tracing and recovery both in the UK and abroad.”(Chambers & Partners)
“…with clients he is pragmatic and realistic in getting the best results.”(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014