"Joseph Hale of Freeths LLP is noted for his representation of contractors, subcontractors and employers in a range of contentious matters."
(Chambers & Partners, 2017)
Joseph is an experienced construction and engineering lawyer, with an established track record of achieving clients’ objectives in a commercially-focused and cost effective manner.
Joseph has acted for a range of engineering companies, from negotiating contract terms to advising manufacturers on how to maintain supplies. He has helped to secure a multi-million $ settlement.
Joseph is ranked in Chambers (2019 Edition) as a Leading Individual.
- Advising an Indian iron ore mining company in a US$45 million ICC arbitration with a Dubai trading company, including defending a challenge to jurisdiction in the High Court (Emirates Trading Agency LLC v Prime Mineral Exports Private Limited  EWHC 2014 (comm)).
- Acting for various subsidiaries part of a global engineering company on various projects including: the negotiation of an EPC contract for a process facility and the re-negotiation of the contract from a lump sum to a target cost pricing model, ongoing “project management” advice on live projects, defending a claim and pursuing a counterclaim relating to the design and commissioning of a process plant, and a final account dispute relating to an energy from waste plant including 3 adjudications and an arbitration.
- Acting for a leading aerospace manufacturer in a claim against a supplier relating to fatigue cracking in precision bearings.
- Advising a major UK contractor on a number of framework disputes with both employers and sub-contractors on a wide range of projects including water, power cables and highways.
- Advising various water utilities and water contractors on contentious issues including advising on the Water Industry Act 1991, advising Contractors on final account claims under AMP 4 and AMP 5, and defending a claim by a contractor for unseen ground conditions affecting a major tunnel construction project.
- Advising a web-only retailer on a dispute regarding its e-commerce platform and website.
- Providing contract risk management advice and training to main contractors, sub-contractors and employers.
- Negotiating contract terms for the construction of a process manufacturing facility.
- Advising on claims relating to a wheat to ethanol plant.
- Helping a leading aerospace manufacturer secure a multi-million $ settlement in a claim against a supplier relating to fatigue cracking in precision bearings.
- Working with a leading manufacturer to maintain supplies of key components where various key suppliers threatened to stop supply if not given an immediate price increase.
Energy & Waste
Joseph has experience of advising on a wide range of projects including LOGIC, FIDIC, IChemE and bespoke forms of contracts in connection with mineral extraction, power generation, oil and gas exploration and off-shore and on-shore wind.
- Acting for an employer in a final account dispute with an EPC contractor for a CCGT CHP plant.
- Advising a global engineering company on various waste to energy projects.
- Acting for an engineering contractor in an arbitration regarding a semi-submersible drilling rig.
- Advising on various off-shore wind maintenance and installation contracts.
- Advising an Indian iron ore mining company in a US$45 million ICC arbitration with a Dubai trading company, including defending a challenge to jurisdiction in the High Court.
Joseph has acted for and against local authorities (and central government) on a range of construction related matters.
- Advising a Local Authority on the SoPC 4 insurance cost sharing mechanism in relation to various PFI projects. We worked with the client to challenge the SPV’s calculations and secured and increased shared of the insurance cost savings for the Local Authority.
- Assisting a Local Authority to defend a ‘smash and grab’ payment notice claim and settle the overall final account.
- Advising contractors on issues arising under the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991.
Transport & Logistics
Joseph has acted on wide range of projects and claims concerning roads, rail, ports, and aerospace.
- Advising on a number of rail disputes relating to upgrade works to track, bridges, stations and signalling.
- Advising contractors on various highways and related contracts including R&M frameworks and major highways projects.
- Helping the owner/operator of a plant for the manufacture of car parts resolve issues with the contractor.
- Assisting a client to resolve a final account and claims for defects relating to a facility for the production of parts for military aircraft.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014