Julia is an experienced real estate lawyer, with a specific focus on the hospitality and leisure industry. She acts on behalf of brewers, tenanted and managed pub companies, restaurant and hotel operators, as well as Administrators. With a national client base, Julia works with hospitality clients across the country.
As Julia specialises in the restaurants, pubs and bars sector she is very familiar with the regulatory aspects that affect trading operations.
- Deals with premises licence transfers and variations as part of the disposal/acquisition process on behalf of pub and restaurant operators.
- Advises tenants and purchasers on statutory compliance matters including asbestos reports, fire reports, Health and Safety reports, electrical wiring, gas safe and PAT Test certificates.
- Acquisitions and disposals of freehold and leasehold licensed premises, on behalf of both small and large operators.
- Acquisitions and disposals of trading premises to include all associated aspects of “going concern” transactions, i.e. transfer of stock, fixtures and fittings, employees and premises licence; dealing with associated tax issues on VAT and capital allowances,
- Disposals of closed sites for re-development conditional upon planning.
- Auction sales of trading/closed premises.
- Pre-let acquisitions (agreements for lease conditional on planning, licensing, landlord’s works etc.).
- General landlord and tenant work including consents to assign, underlet or alter, surrender agreements, lease variations, lease renewals, rent deposits and reversionary leases.
- Portfolio reviews of large leasehold estates for the purposes of refinancing or acquisitions.
- Advising on land registration/possessory title issues.
- Negotiating statutory/utility agreements, e.g. s.106/104 agreements, wayleaves.
Drinks, Hospitality & Leisure
Julia cut her teeth in the leisure sector. She regularly deals with the acquisition and disposal of restaurants and managed or tenanted pubs and bars. Her other focus is estate management and general landlord and tenant work.
- Regularly advises household name national restaurant brands on disposals and acquisitions. This includes all aspects of the transaction, for example on disposals serving pre-emption notices, obtaining landlord’s consent, negotiating contracts conditional upon consent, change of use, licensing, alterations. On acquisitions, this will include generally include negotiating pre-let agreements conditional on planning, licensing and landlord’s works.
- Acting on disposals of licensed trade investment properties including single site and portfolios.
- Acted on behalf of two of the big four accountancy firms in respect of largescale disposal programmes of rump pub estates and on auction disposals.
- Frequently acts on the property side of corporate transactions. Recent examples include the sale of a household name UK late night bar estate at circa £40 million, which required the pulling together on short notice of a full dataroom and assisting a client with limited manpower to deal with the resulting enquiries, along with advising on property warranties and disclosure letter; the acquisition of a well-known franchised fast food chain, including undertaking due diligence appropriate to the scale and synthesising information into a client friendly format.
- Acts on behalf of UK and Ireland coffee shop brand in respect of the grant of new leases at nationwide shopping centres and retail parks including ensuring appropriate outside seating property interests are granted by landlord where required.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014