"Thank you Kirsty - you have been excellent, clear and highly professional throughout, and I am very grateful."
Kirsty is a Senior Associate solicitor specialising in Private Client. She has a great deal of experience in drafting complex Wills, inheritance tax planning and Estate administration. She has a particular interest in all mental capacity matters, such a drafting and registering Lasting Powers of Attorney and applying to the Court of Protection for Deputyship Orders. She is also appointed as a personal Deputy for vulnerable clients. Kirsty also assists with the creation, administration and taxation of trusts.
Kirsty works with a variety of clients, ranging from high net worth clients to the elderly and vulnerable. She is approachable and is able to explain complex legal matters in a simple and straight forward way. Kirsty is happy to offer home and hospital visits across the whole of Oxfordshire.
Mental Incapacity & Care of the Elderly
- Acted as a Court-appointed Deputy for a client who had lost mental capacity and had no family to assist. Ensured the client’s finances were correctly managed and his wishes were carried out.
- Acted for clients whose mother had lost capacity and their father had passed away unexpectedly. Applied to the Court of Protection for an Order appointing the clients as their mother’s Deputies enabling them to manage her finances and to administer their late father’s estate.
Wills & Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Prepared complex Wills for a high net worth couple with children from previous relationships. The Wills helped them to achieve a balance between making provision for the survivor, whilst safeguarding their respective children’s inheritance.
- Acted in the winding up of a large and complex intestate estate which required locating and tracing several distant, overseas relatives, one of whom had since died. Ensured the estate was administered in the most tax efficient way, which significantly reduced the overall tax liability.
To contact Kirsty or for more information…
- Associate Member of Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE)
- Full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (“STEP”)
After completing a Law degree, Kirsty achieved a Distinction on the Legal Practice Course which she studied at the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice. She studied a Diploma in Trusts and Estates to become a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
“I have had a couple of occasions where I have had need of Kirsty’s expertise. I found her to be extremely professional but more than that, she listens and she understands. I have recommended her to others.”
“I recently sought advice from Kirsty Southgate regarding my Lasting Power of Attorney and found Kirsty most helpful and informative with regards to my options to allow me to make my own decisions. Upon deciding which options I wished to take, Kirsty effected my wishes without delay, including liaising with the Office of the Public Guardian to put into effect the changes. I am very pleased with the advice and service Kirsty offered.”
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014