Kishan is an expert in IP and Media law. He leads the firm’s service offering for brands and private individuals on Reputation Protection. This includes key areas such as defamation, privacy, breach of personal data, image rights and online harassment. His specialism covers pre-publication advice and strategy, bespoke reputation protection audits and consultancy, through to providing solutions for all reputation related disputes. He is particularly skilled in solving problems arising through online publications including on social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
In relation to IP, Kishan has substantial experience in advising on the creation, management, exploitation and protection of Intellectual Property rights, including trade marks, rights in passing off, copyright, registered and unregistered design rights, patents, confidential information and trade secrets. His practice includes the drafting and negotiation of all IP and reputation related contracts including non-disclosure agreements and undertakings aimed at protecting confidential and private information.
Reputation Protection for Individuals
Kishan is committed to solving reputation crisis issues for private individuals. His clients are from diverse backgrounds which span numerous industries including the worlds of business, media and entertainment, politics and sport. They are individuals with high-profiles and those not in the public eye, but who place no less a premium on their right to reputation and privacy. Kishan’s recent work in protecting their rights includes:
- Advice in relation to stopping the threatened publication of private information in sensationalist local and national publications and fly-on-the-wall documentaries.
- Advice and strategies for high and low profile individuals for the removal of irrelevant personal data online though privacy complaints and Google’s ‘right to be forgotten’ (de-listing) procedure and the right to erasure under the GDPR.
- Obtaining an interim injunction with an anonymity order at the High Court to stop the further public disclosure of private information disseminated by a celebrity on Facebook and Twitter and in an online Amazon autobiography.
- Representing private individuals against public authorities (including the Ministry of Justice, one of the UK’s largest police forces and various City and County Councils) for libel, breach of privacy and unlawful processing of personal data on Facebook accounts and YouTube.
- Striking out a defamation claim for abuse of process for a retail entrepreneur.
- Successfully defending a client in the comic-con entertainment industry over his alleged libels on social media.
- Devising a multi-layered strategy to remove defamatory and private online content published by anonymous parties on foreign hosted ‘name and shame’ websites for a client in the modelling industry.
- Resolving a defamation and malicious falsehood complaint for a political candidate against his opponent in the context of a council by-election.
- Representing a claimant in defence of her right to freedom of speech on a change.org campaign.
- Advice for an up and coming star in the music industry for managing his reputation in the face of social media harassment.
- Devising a reputation protection strategy for a business leader in the context of media coverage in existing commercial litigation.
- Advice to agents and managers acting for leading individuals in the protection of their own reputation, to enable them to service their clients without distraction.
Commercial Reputation Protection
Kishan provides reputation protection advice, related dispute resolution services and in-house counsel training to all commercial entities with a brand reputation to protect, from multi-national companies and SMEs to public authorities and charities. His recent work has included:
- Devising a multi-layered reputation protection strategy for a market leading business in the environment industry to protect its brand reputation in the face of defamatory allegations made in a high-profile documentary and subsequent regulatory investigation.
- Stopping the planned publication of alleged libels in national print media, concerning the connection between a convicted corporate fraudster and our client, a business in the technology industry.
- Advising a well-known retailer on the strategy to employ against parody Facebook and other social media accounts containing libels and malicious falsehoods.
- Advising a leading care home provider on the reputational repercussions of its home closure plans, including the management of defamatory content published by a local member of parliament and a trade union in the context of a protest.
- Advising a well-known retailer on its use of CCTV, processing of personal data and obligations for notification to the ICO and related reputation management.
- Advising an accountancy firm on the strategy to employ to stop threatened libels being made to the industry by a third party with an axe to grind.
- Devising a long-term strategy against an online industry publication and anonymous online bloggers regarding their campaign of harassment and publication of defamatory and malicious content about a market leading client and its managing director in the printing industry.
As brand protection and enforcement are so crucial to food businesses, Kishan brings invaluable skills to manufacturers and processors in the sector. He works with a major food retailer advising on branding issues as well as assisting with reputation management.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014