"Can I express my appreciation to you and your colleagues at Freeths for all of your help and advice on this far from straightforward matter."
Lucy is a highly experienced real estate lawyer in the Birmingham office. She has extensive property finance and development experience and specialist sector knowledge and experience in energy work and great local knowledge of the Birmingham property market. Her advice is valued by clients who find her knowledgeable and pragmatic.
- Advising a local authority on a major city centre redevelopment and regeneration scheme.
- Advising solar farm developers on the site set up, funding and development of ground mounted solar farms.
- Acting as part of a team on the disposal of wind farms.
- Acting for public sector clients on a variety of acquisitions, disposals, conditional contracts, funding agreements and taking security.
- Acting for investor clients on the acquisition and disposal of property sites.
- Acting for education institutions on the management of their property holdings.
Real Estate Finance
Lucy has substantial experience in property finance matters, acting for a variety of lenders from clearing banks to short-term financing. The transactions tend to be varied depending on what kind of portfolio is being financed. Lucy works closely with the bank managers and the valuers to understand the property portfolio, bank concerns and possible solutions with the borrower’s solicitors.
- Advising on redevelopment projects in London including complex developments including conversion of listed buildings for high value residential developments, building on additional storeys considering planning and rights of light issues.
- Advising on financing large portfolio industrial sites. Identifying issues including rights of way, land ownership and environmental issues.
- Advising on funding for the purchase of a brownfield site that required a degree of remediation to enable redevelopment.
- Advising on access issues, title covenants and leasehold documentation.
Energy & waste
Lucy has experience acting for solar and wind clients in relation to development, refinance and later sale of projects. On solar sites in particular Lucy has been involved in the site set up of solar farms working closely with developer clients considering issues in relation to services and connections. Clients have found Lucy to have a sound understanding of site issues and pragmatic with her advice.
- Representing solar developer clients on the site set up of solar farms, preparation of option agreements and lease documentation. Preparing certificates of title for funders for a shovel-ready site for onward sale.
- Site set up of a cross-channel electricity transformer station and connecting easements for electricity cables.
- Sale of wind farms to investor clients, acting on the due diligence and preparation of reports on title.
Recently Lucy has acted for a Council and public sector bodies, including the Homes and Communities Agency. The types of work for the Councils were in relation to city centre redevelopment projects which were very involved and covered a wide range of issues, whilst Lucy concentrated on the property aspects including land transactions, the issues covered procurement and local government issues.
- Advising a local Council in relation to a Development Agreement for the city centre, redevelopment of the train station, hotel and office blocks and residential flats. Lucy’s role acting for the Council involved coordinating the legal issue in relation to land transfers, leases and option agreements and advising the Council on the wider implications in the context of the main Development Agreement. Lucy was the client lead on this development project.
- Advising a Council in relation to a city centre development, Lucy’s main involvement was in relation to the granting of long-leases and a complicated overage agreement.
- Lucy has carried out a variety of work for public sector clients including the Homes and Communities Agency on the sale of sites which often needed remediating or have other quirky elements that require specific conditional contract documentation.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014