"I have been using Matt for almost all our employment law advice for 2 years now and I am very pleased with the way he quickly understood our business."
(Rod Graham, Vice President HR, Thyssenkrupp Elevator UK Limited)
Matt has a degree in law from Oxford University and completed the Legal Practice Course at Nottingham Law School. He trained at Freeths and qualified as a solicitor in 2001. Since then he has worked exclusively on employment law issues, advising clients in the public and private sector. He also provides a wide range of training to lawyers and managers.
Matt is listed as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 (2019 Edition).
- Working alongside the HR Departments of a number of large organisations in the public and private sector. Matt provides immediate and practical solutions to their day-to-day employment problems, as well as working with them to reach longer term strategic solutions.
- Providing regular advice to businesses without HR Departments by giving practical, commercial assistance and guiding them through exercises such as disciplinary and grievance hearings, redundancies and TUPE transfers.
- Helping a variety of employees and employers to resolve Employment Tribunal claims. The resolutions achieved depend on the circumstances and range from negotiated settlements to contested Tribunal hearings. Matt offers commercial and pragmatic advice from the outset, ensuring that the costs do not become disproportionate to the issues.
- Providing bespoke training to a number of organisations. This ranges from technical legal updates to in-depth practical training on key employment skills such as managing disciplinary and grievance hearings.
- Advising on TUPE issues arising from contracting-out exercises in the public sector.
- Advising on the employment and TUPE aspects of corporate and property transactions, including the sale of a portfolio of assets for £272 million resulting in the transfer of 800 employees.
- HR Seminar: Tribunal Claims – is attack the best form of defence? – Nottingham- 7 November 2019
- HR Seminar: Tribunal Claims – is attack the best form of defence? – Derby – 9 October 2019
- Employment Law Review – May 2019
- Employment Seminar: Performance Management – Derby – 27th March
- Employment Seminar: Performance Management – Nottingham – 7th March
- Employment Review: September 2017
- Freeths employment specialist to speak at IOSH event
“I have been using Matt for almost all our employment law advice for 2 years now and I am very pleased with the way he quickly understood our business and is able to offer very practical advice on how to approach issues and not “only” the legal position. The service has always been prompt and this too is important in a fast moving commercial environment like ours.”(Rod Graham, Vice President HR, Thyssenkrupp Elevator UK Limited)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014