Matthew Johnson specialises in IT and Data law, but also advises on commercial contracts generally.
As part of a busy IT and Data team, Matthew has acted for both suppliers and purchasers of software and IT services. His work has included both standalone software projects and software-as-a-service agreements. He has advised clients on all aspects of data protection compliance.
His particular areas of interest include compliance with the upcoming General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the increasing role played by data protection in the world of e-commerce.
He has acted for a range of clients, from small commercial organisations to large nationally-recognised businesses.
Matthew also designs and presents training on all aspects of IT and Data, and assists clients to develop their own in-house training materials.
Matthew is listed as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 (2020 edition).
Matthew advises on all aspects of data protection compliance. He has assisted clients to harmonise their data protection practices across multiple European jurisdictions, and is regularly consulted about compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Advising on the legal and compliance aspects of a national rollout of Wi-Fi services to consumers, including the protection of their personal data and direct marketing.
- Advising on the compliant transfer of personal data from a UK distributor to a manufacturer in the US.
- Advising a public sector client regarding data sharing arrangements between it and a private business.
IT & Data
Matthew has advised a range of commercial organisations on the legal issues involved with moving their businesses into the cloud. He has assisted with the drafting and negotiation of agreements for cloud services, software development and maintenance. He has also advised data centre clients regarding the legal and regulatory aspects of the services they provide.
- Advising on an agreement for the implementation of a cloud-based software suite for a property management company.
- Drafting standard terms for the licensing, implementation, support and maintenance of a client’s suite of complex media management software packages.
Matthew has worked closely with the in-house legal team of a national supplier of raw materials to the construction industry. In this role, he assisted with the drafting and negotiation of supply and purchase agreements for major construction projects.
He has also dealt with non-disclosure agreements, collateral warranties and agreements with logistics providers.
- Developed a set of agreements to be used by a national manufacturer for the purchase of raw materials, and the sale of its goods to the aerospace industry.
- Assisted a distributor of heating products to update and negotiate its terms of purchase with a European manufacturer.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014