Matthew specialises in corporate and personal insolvency, recovery and restructuring, receiving instructions from insolvency practitioners, company directors and individuals. These instructions involve contentious and non-contentious work, with a particular focus on asset recovery. Matthew has also acted on appeals in the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal.
Insolvency & Corporate Recovery
- Re J & R Builders (Norwich Limited; Lannagan & Pearson v Kean & Others . Successful claims against directors, members and a connected company, establishing preferences and misfeasance.
- Re Pappy Ltd (in liquidation); Hunt v Brighouse  BPIR 1451. Successful claim against a director for manipulating director’s loan account and inter-company balances to prefer himself.
- Re Sports Management Group Ltd (in Liquidation); Green v Marston and Lochner  All ER (D) 208 (May). Established de facto directorship, despite the relevant individual not being an authorised signatory or having direct access to the company’s bank account.
- Green v Austin  BPIR 1176. Setting aside a matrimonial Consent Order approved by the Court pre-bankruptcy in ancillary relief proceedings
- Acting for trustees in bankruptcy challenging divorce settlements.
Acting for the administrator of a deceased insolvent estate, Matthew successfully challenged trusts and property transfers on the basis of shams and/or transactions defrauding creditors (Section 423 of the Insolvency Act 1986).
- Claims involving alleged transactions at undervalue, preferences, misfeasance, unlawful dividends and overdrawn director’s loan accounts.
- Applications for the restoration of dissolved companies to the Register of Companies by Court Order, often involving the reappointment of office-holders.
- Applications for Administration Orders, and extensions to Administration terms.
- Advising on the validity of debentures and other charges both registered and unregistered.
- Petitioning for Winding-up Orders, Bankruptcy Orders and Deceased Persons Insolvency Administration Orders.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014