A highly experienced real estate lawyer, Michael specialises in transport & logistics (most notably in rail) and energy & waste, and large development and regeneration schemes (particularly with a transport hub/interface) and infrastructure projects. Michael has advised private, public and government clients on a range of matters across his areas of expertise.
- Advising a local authority on the real estate aspects of the redevelopment and land assembly of large parts of a town centre, procured via a development partner selected through competitive dialogue, including the redevelopment of a railway station, relocation of a bus station, new NHS centre, library, circa 3,600 new homes, and new office and retail space with a total GDV of over £1bn.
- Advising a Middle Eastern bank on the land assembly and forward funded construction of a student accommodation portfolio comprising over 2,000 beds across the UK with student accommodation funds administered in the Channel Islands, and advising on the subsequent sale of the portfolio for over £270m.
Transport & Logistics
- Advising several train operating companies and owner groups on the successful mobilisation of a number of rail franchises over the last decade, and thereafter advising the train operating company on asset and portfolio management at depots, stations and other facilities over the life of the franchise
- Advising a water utility on the complex contractual arrangements with HS2 and DfT in relation to the construction of HS2 Phase 1 whilst ensuring the resilience of the public water supply and the underlying quality of groundwater, and a framework for several hundred asset diversions and reconfiguration of land interests under threat of CPO
- Advising a train operating company on the complex reconfiguration of two major rail depots including related leasing arrangements, construction contracts and regulated change proposals. One site also involved a complex and novel funding structure to enable private funding for the upgrade works well beyond franchise-end without the ability to designate the documentation as primary franchise assets due to a recent change in DfT policy
- Advising a private sector consortium on the real estate aspects of their bid to run a logistics commodities and services transformation contract with the Ministry of Defence, including the leasing and licensing of strategic sites
- Advising a bus operator on a variety of landlord and tenant matters across its portfolio, including leasing, licencing and acquisition & construction of bus depots
Energy & Waste
- Advising UK government client on the real estate aspects of a parent body organisation competition to acquire two nuclear site licence companies with contracts to decommission 13 of the UK’s nuclear sites, including the leasing of 11 historic nuclear sites. This transaction has been reported to be one of the UK’s largest ever public procurement exercises with a value of around £7bn
- Advising a nuclear site licence company on the reconfiguration of an existing nuclear power station (including land and asset transfers/re-siting, and interface with nuclear site licences) to enable the construction of a new nuclear power station
- Advising a private energy company on the acquisition, construction and financing of a 27MW biomass CHP project
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014