Michael is a highly experienced employment lawyer and advocate, having specialised in employment law for over 15 years. Michael primarily works with employers, helping them to find solutions to their employment problems. Michael works with employers of all sizes from start-ups through to large multi-national corporations. With a focus on providing timely, practical and commercial advice specifically tailored to the employer’s needs.
Michael advises clients in relation to all aspects of employment law including (but not limited to) day-to-day HR support, restrictive covenants and injunctions, whistleblowing, trade union and labour law, TUPE, redundancy and re-organisation, unfair dismissal, equality and diversity, employment disputes, and employment status.
Michael is a highly experienced Tribunal advocate and regularly appears in the Employment Tribunal and Industrial Tribunal in Northern Ireland. Michael can advise clients on all aspects of the employment litigation process and is experienced in managing multiple claims on behalf of clients.
In addition to employment law, Michael has also developed a particular expertise in advising clients on the law in relation to discrimination in the provision of goods and services. This includes providing advice to clients on complying with their legal obligations, defending clients against County Court claims, and liaising with the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
Michael is also an experienced trainer and has written and delivered courses on all aspects of employment law.
- Advising a large financial services provider on the TUPE and other employment aspects of selling its business.
- Acting for a national professional services firm in the enforcement of restrictive covenants against a former employee.
- Supporting a multi-national logistics company with due diligence support in relation to a multi-million pound acquisition.
- Successfully defending an employer against an application for Interim Relief from a trade union representative that it had recently dismissed.
- Successfully negotiating a settlement for a client in the hospitality sector relating to a claim against the client of discrimination in the provision of services.
- Providing a well-known multi-national with ongoing support to its internal worldwide compliance function.
- Working with a manufacturing client in the negotiation of a recognition agreement with a recognised Trade Union.
- Advising a well-known retailer on the complicated exit of its Managing Director.
- Working with a start-up recruitment company, advising it on its legal obligations and drafting of necessary documentation.
- Coronavirus: Football Clubs and their Employees
- Employment Tribunals announce no in-person ET Hearings from next week – all converted to case management telephone hearing
- Coronavirus: Q&A for Employers
- Brexit: Recruitment & Retention Seminar – 11 March 2020
- Employment Law Review – February 2020
- IR35 – Are you prepared? – Liverpool Seminar – 20 February 2020
- HR Matters: Defending Tribunal Claims – Liverpool- 17 October
- Employment Law Review – June 2019
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014