"Mitchell Ball is an expert in retail and town planning."
(The Legal 500)
Mitchell is a real estate lawyer based in Birmingham. He has many years’ experience of transactional Commercial Property, Planning, Banking and General Commercial legal work. This includes over 20 years within National law firms, handling a wide range of projects, several of which relate to nationally recognised sites.
Mitchell also deals with planning work, and is a Legal Associate of the Royal Town Planning Institute. He has a very proactive and commercial approach. Over the last 20 years he has seen most of the pitfalls and guided clients around these. This enables him to proactively steer clients away from the risks, rather than having to fire-fight out of difficulties.
Mitchell is listed as a Recommended lawyer in the Legal 500 (2019 Edition).
Mitchell has advised landowners and councils on a range of developments. These have included residential developments and redevelopments of major commercial centres.
- Advising the landowner in relation to the promotion of 68 hectares of land in Bedfordshire. Mitchell acted on behalf of the local authority landowner in securing a promotion agreement with Telereal Trillium.
- Advising Leicester City Council in relation to its Waterside residential development. This is a major residential and commercial development in Leicester City centre.
- Advising Calthorpe Estates in relation to developments at its Pebble Mill development. This is a major development, comprising former BBC studios in Edgbaston.
- Advising Cherwell District Council in relation to the redevelopment of Castle Quay Shopping Centre, Banbury.
Mitchell has significant experience in dealing with planning, particularly in the context of retail development. He has also dealt with planning appeals and judicial reviews.
- Dealing with planning appeals and judicial reviews in relation to retail developments. This includes managing planning appeals at public enquiry and Informal hearing.
- Dealing with numerous S106 Planning Agreements, including revisions to existing obligations based on “viability”.
- Highway Agreements under Section 38 and Section 278 Highways Act.
- Advising in relation to Community Infrastructure Levy, including advice on when existing floor space can be offset.
- Advising a major food retailer on its supermarket development programme.
- Advising several local authorities in relation to town centre retail and leisure redevelopments.
- Advising the landowner in relation to the promotion of 68 hectares of land in Bedfordshire.
- Dealing with planning appeals in relation to development sites.
- Advising Leicester City Council in relation to its Waterside residential development.
- Law Society
- Royal Town Planning Institute
“I have worked with Mitchell on a wide range of real estate finance transactions for over ten years. He quickly gets to the nub of issues, providing practical advice and solutions and has always delivered against deadlines, which on occasions have been challenging. He fits well with the team’s way of doing business and their proven expertise in real estate, construction and planning.”(David Smith, Director, Strata Real Estate)
“Mitchell Ball provides ‘thoughtful’ and ‘considered’ advice”.(The legal 500, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014