Managing Partner - Leicester
"At Freeths, managing partner Mukesh Patel leads the commercial litigation practice, which continues to act for national and international clients in a wide range of mandates."
(The Legal 500)
Mukesh has over 23 years experience as a litigation specialist. He works closely with a range of organisations from individuals and owner-managed businesses all the way up to international concerns.
Mukesh takes time to really understand client needs and imperatives, working in partnership with them to achieve a commercial result with minimal disruption and cost; whether as someone bringing a claim or having to defend a claim.
His particular areas of expertise are in relation to contractual claims, partnership and shareholder actions, injunctions, warranty claims, professional negligence actions and also contempt of court applications.
Mukesh is recognised as an “Elite Leading Lawyer” in Commercial Litigation by The Legal 500 and recognised in Chambers & Partners 2019.
- Defending a substantial claim issued in the High Court in London relating to the supply of defective fabric by a Turkish company. The case involved a complex paper trail and issues such as security for costs. We had to adopt a robust defence and pursue security for costs, because the claim was spurious and because of its impact on a family run business with many High Street retailers.
- Acted for a client who received a detailed letter of a claim relating to a number of issues. These included a claim for the non-issue of shares, pension payments, damages relating to early exit from a software licence and maintenance agreement, use of domain names and intellectual property rights in software. We immediately advised the company in relation to the various claims and advised on the strategy to deal with the claim. The claim was notified at a particularly sensitive time for the company and required to be dealt with sensitively in order to protect its commercial interests.
- We were instructed in connection with both a trust and company/shareholder dispute. We took immediate steps to advise as to the remedies available to the clients, both under company law and also pursuant to the terms of the trust. As a consequence, we were able to defend the position of our clients who were running the company and prevented the Trust Settlor interfering and causing loss to the company and beneficiaries.
Mukesh is the National Head of the Food Sector. He has acted for a number of businesses in this sector, providing a range of advice in relation to their operations, both from a contentious and non-contentious perspective, managing their contractual position and risk exposure.
- Acted for a national food supplier in connection with the collation and misuse by former senior employees of confidential information, to include recipe information by a competitor business. Mukesh obtained interim injunctions against the relevant individuals and subsequently the successful pursuit of the same individuals for contempt of court, as they were found to be in breach of court undertakings.
- Instructed by a foreign supplier of fresh fruit to advise on all aspects of applicable UK legislation. He also advised in the context of contractual negotiations in order to best protect the interests of the business.
“Mukesh as lead partner for Flogas has provided an excellent service, supporting us with immediate advice over the phone, but also leading long complex commercial litigation cases. Here, he has proved particularly tenacious in driving through our agenda, and protecting and pursuing our interests. Of note is his ability to work with management at Flogas, and develop a team approach based on commercial priorities. As such he ensures we take a practical as well as legal approach which for us proves more effective.”(Henry Cubbon, Managing Director, DCC Energy LPG)
“Commercial, pragmatic, client-focussed and very practical.”
“Always a pleasure to recommend Freeths as I know the service is consistently Top Drawer.”
“At Freeths, managing partner Mukesh Patel leads the commercial litigation practice, which continues to act for national and international clients in a wide range of mandates, including construction, insurance, and financial services disputes, as well as property litigation and insolvency litigation.”(The Legal 500 )
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014