"Natasha Molloy of Freeths LLP routinely serves as a professional deputy, regularly acting for clients with acquired brain injuries."
Natasha is a highly experienced professional deputy who has acted for hundreds of clients who lack capacity to manage their own property and affairs. She deals with all types of cases but primarily specialises in acquired brain injury, representing both adults and children who lack capacity as a result of personal injury or clinical negligence. Her clients also include those with mental health issues, learning difficulties and birth injuries; such as cerebral palsy.
Natasha heads up the Nottingham Court of Protection team, having previously set up and developed a very successful team at a well known specialist personal injury firm in central Manchester. She regularly manages the property and affairs of clients who have received multi million pound compensation settlements.
Court of Protection & Deputyships
Litigation Support Services
As a specialist in her field, Natasha is frequently asked to provide litigation support services to other lawyers by preparing expert statements on the cost of Court of Protection deputyships.
Lay Deputy Support
Natasha often advises lay deputies on their duties and assists them with the drafting of applications to the Court of Protection. These can include Statutory Will applications, Gift Applications and Family Care Payment Applications.
Many of the clients that Natasha represents are unable to make their own will. This means that a complex application to the Court of Protection is required, which asks the Court to make a statutory will on their behalf.
The case of Re HC  now requires that lay deputies apply to the Court of Protection to authorise gratuitous care payments (also known as family care payments) to them as carers for their family member.
- Managing a £4 million settlement for a young man with learning difficulties, who subsequently suffered from a brain injury from a road traffic accident as a child resulting in significant cognitive impairment. The client is extremely vulnerable and his funds are used to provide a team of support to give him the best life possible.
- Acting for a 40 year old man who was injured at birth resulting in quadriplegic cerebral palsy, resulting in a £3.5 million lump sum plus settlement plus £206,000 annual periodical payments. Natasha has arranged for the purchase and adaptation of his own home to accommodate live in carers and specialist therapies and equipment.
- Natasha has prepared statements setting out the future costs of having a Court of Protection deputy, so that these costs can be claimed in personal injury and clinical negligence claims for the injured party. She has been required to give evidence at court in support of these statements.
- Natasha is regularly instructed to make family care payment applications on behalf of lay deputies and has made several successful applications for these payments. These have included authority to pay the parents of a child over £90,000 per annum for the care they provide for their significantly disabled child.
- Gift applications made by Natasha have included requests of cash payments or cars to be gifted to family members and a £15,000 charity gift to be made in accordance with a client’s religious beliefs.
“Natasha Molloy of Freeths LLP routinely serves as a professional deputy, regularly acting for clients with acquired brain injuries. A source says: ‘She’s one of the best that I deal with – technically she’s very good and she also has a very good way of dealing with clients and making the right decisions on their behalf’.”
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014