"I have now dealt with Oliver for several years. It goes without saying that the technical expertise of him and his team is first rate - what makes them stand out is their willingness to go the extra mile. Should Oliver need to work whilst he's on holiday or at the weekend to get the job done, he has done so without question or complaint. This work ethic gives me the confidence that once I have instructed Freeths, I know the deadlines will be met."
(Kris Wigfield, Managing Partner of Begbies Traynor Sheffield)
Oliver specialises in all aspects of insolvency, restructuring and corporate recovery work including contentious and non-contentious matters. He has over 12 years’ experience advising all stakeholders involved in insolvency and restructuring matters, including insolvency practitioners, debtors, creditors, corporate clients, directors, investment funds as well as major high street banks and other lenders.
Oliver’s recent work includes advice on high profile restructurings, trading/pre-pack administrations and complex liquidations.
Oliver is experienced in corporate insolvency matters, undertaking contentious and non-contentious work.
Oliver regularly advises insolvency practitioners acting as administrators in relation to the appointment process, pre-pack and post-appointment sales of company assets and businesses, administration trading issues, antecedent transaction claims and various other matters during the administration process.
Oliver also advises liquidators in relation to creditors’ claims, ROT issues, dealing with winding up petitions and CVL’s, the recovery of assets from debtors and taking actions against directors.
Oliver also advises in relation to:
- Directors’ duties and obligations in scenarios where a company is in financial difficulty.
- Advising the directors of companies in an insolvency process in relation to claims against them from an administrator or liquidator.
- CVAs and IVAs.
- Personal insolvency matters including advising trustees in bankruptcy on all matters relating to the bankruptcy and bankruptcy estate including issuing possession and other proceedings, income payment arrangements and claims in the bankruptcy.
- Dealing with statutory demands, winding-up petitions and debt recovery.
- Oliver advised Coveris, an international packaging company in relation to the acquisition of certain assets and property from Gelpack Industrial, which entered administration.
- Advising the administrators of Qube Managed Services Limited – a specialist managed hosting provider, hosting web sites for international companies in relation to the appointment process and the pre-pack sale of the business and certain assets.
- Advising the administrators of Gourmet Game Limited – a company selling a range of ‘game’ meats (including pheasant, venison and hare) internationally. Oliver advised on the appointment process and sale of the Company’s assets as well as ROT claims received by the administrators.
- Advising the directors of a failing hotel business in relation to their duties, the restructuring options available to the company and overseeing the orderly wind down of operations.
- Acting for the liquidators of a private school, which was also a registered charity. This involved advising the liquidator on the sale of the charity’s property.
- Advising the administrators of a group of companies in the UK beverage industry operating off-license stores trading under various high-street brands. Oliver advised on the trading and ultimate disposal of over 150 stores to over 8 separate purchasers (Winerack, Victoria Wines, the Local).
- Acting for the liquidators’ of Kayboo and East Marsh in relation to the failed fractional ownership model of a hotel and assisting the liquidators in relation to various complex investigations.
- Acting for the directors of a marketing company in liquidation, in relation to certain claims from the liquidator of the company.
Oliver specialises in advising companies and directors of financially stressed companies in working through solvent solutions for rescue, including refinancing and creditor arrangements. Oliver has worked on some of the largest and most complex restructurings nationwide within the last 12 years.
Oliver is experienced in liaising and negotiating with various high profile stakeholders and providing strategic advice to the client during the course of the restructuring process. Oliver has advised on restructuring matters in various sectors including retail, hospitality and transport.
- Acting for a local authority with a population of over 300,000 in relation to a large restructuring in the sports sector and dealing with various high profile stakeholders including suppliers, customers and other local authorities.
- Advising the operating company of a large UK Port in relation to a complex restructuring. This involved extensive negotiations with certain high profile parties.
- Advising on 4 complex and unprecedented restructurings of the UK Coal businesses between 2012 and 2015.
- Advising an international manufacturing group on the acquisition of significant assets from the administrators of two UK based packaging companies.
To contact Oliver or for more information…
“Oliver has advised and acted for Wilson Field for a number of years on matters of insolvency and commercial litigation. He is well known, respected and trusted in the local legal and financial communities. The service we receive is consistently of a high standard and delivered in a friendly manner. The nature of our work means that sometimes there is a degree of urgency and in such circumstances Oliver is quick to respond without compromising professionalism or quality.”(Lisa Hogg, Director, Wilson Field Limited)
“Oliver and his team provide an excellent all round service. The quality of their advice and speed of response is exceptional. I cannot recommend them enough.”(Andrew Davenport, Managing Director of Maxim Business Recovery & Insolvency Services)
“I have now dealt with Oliver for several years. It goes without saying that the technical expertise of him and his team is first rate – what makes them stand out is their willingness to go the extra mile. Should Oliver need to work whilst he’s on holiday or at the weekend to get the job done, he has done so without question or complaint. This work ethic gives me the confidence that once I have instructed Freeths, I know the deadlines will be met.”(Kris Wigfield, Managing Partner of Begbies Traynor Sheffield)
“One of the most proficient and commercially minded insolvency lawyers in Sheffield with ‘exceptional knowledge and interpretation of the law’”.(The Legal 500, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014