"Recommended for her knowledge, experience and well-pitched advice."
(The Legal 500)
Parminder is our National Head of Pensions with nearly 30 years’ experience in the pensions industry. She advises employers, trustees, Local Authorities, senior executives, SMEs, Members, trade unions, product providers, banks, insurers, fund managers, Professional Trustees, Law Firms and other professionals.
Parminder regularly contributes to pension publications and presents at seminars and workshops including to members of the Thames Valley CBI. She also provides bespoke Governance training to many of her clients including Aberdeen Asset Management and other large institutions.
There are practically no areas of pensions law Parminder has not encountered and advised on, so you are in good hands.
Parminder advises on all aspects of pensions law, including contentious and non-contentious matters. Her areas of expertise include scheme re-design and closure of DB Schemes, equalisation issues, professional negligence claims, contingent assets, M & A transactions and clearance applications, liability management and Pensions Liberation.
She also advises employers of all sizes on tricky legal issues on Auto Enrolment, and provides advice and practical guidance on TPR’s Codes of Practice to produce Good Member Outcomes.
- A particularly significant deal/case recently advising a corporate client, which is part of a larger group of companies in the aviation sector. Initially on an auction process for the acquisition of the entire share capital and business assets of a ground handling company from two major global airlines acting under a JV which was a £14 million deal. We were involved in a firm-wide team effort on due diligence to identify any potential deal breakers. The JV operated two schemes with defined benefit liabilities and a legacy DB deficit. Following a successful bidding process we had only four weeks to negotiate a flexible apportionment arrangement before Christmas, agreeing the document with the vendors and trustees of the Pension Scheme. We reached a successful outcome for our client who did not take on any of the DB liabilities and was able to acquire the Target to further its business expansion to operate not only out of London City airport but also London Heathrow.
- Reviewing and advising investment management clients in relation to funds they offer their trustee clients.
- Advising employers and trustee clients on de-risking strategies for closed defined benefit schemes. Particularly Pension Increase Exchange exercises, project managing and working with our commercial colleagues on data sharing agreements to ensure our client’s compliance with data protection legislation.
- Corporate support involving defined benefit liabilities and negotiating on apportionment arrangements, carving out DB liabilities, negotiating with Trustees on a large scale M & A transaction.
- Pension disputes acting for corporates (defective drafting), Trustees (scheme practice does not accord with scheme rules), and members (maladministration, incorrect retirement quotes).
- Assisting private companies on tenders for services for public sector contracts, admission agreements, bond agreements, and forms of demand.
- Advising many of our Local Authority clients on the LGPS, Admission Agreements, Bond arrangements & TUPE issues.
To contact Parminder or for more information…
- Association of Pension Lawyers
- Pensions Management Institute
- The Society of Pension Professionals
“Parminder Latimer has been providing legal advice to the Ultra Electronics Pension Scheme since 2009. During that time she has given valuable input on a number of issues including on Closure of the DB Scheme, Contingent Assets, Investment Management Agreements, Conflicts of Interest, Definition of Scheme Employers, and Custody Agreements. Her advice has always been relevant, timely and appropriate, and delivered in a manner easily understandable to the lay trustee. She is regarded by the Trustee Board as an important member of the Trustee’s group of professional advisers.”(David Garbett-Edwards, Former Chairman of Ultra Electronics Pension Trustee Company Limited)
“Parminder provided me with helpful, prompt and clear advice on a sensitive matter at very short notice. I was delighted with her input which helped me enormously. She engaged rapidly and well with other advisers and delivered what she said she would, when she said she would.”(Professional Trustee)
“I thought the Pensions team at Freeths dealt with everything very professionally and in good time throughout. I really enjoyed working with the team.”(HR Director of a large military charity)
“Responsive and understanding.”(The Legal 500, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014