Richard specialises in providing tax law advice to a wide range of clients, with a particular focus on high net worth individuals and owner managers. Richard’s key work areas include property taxation, VAT, reorganisations and demergers, employee incentive schemes and entrepreneurs’ relief planning.
- Demergers: a capital reduction demerger to partition a family owned property investment group which included mitigation of stamp duty and SDLT.
- Employee Incentives: designing and implementing an employee share option scheme which incorporated growth shares to provide tax efficient value based incentives to key senior executives in anticipation of sale.
- Entrepreneurs’ relief planning: reduced the effective rate of capital gains tax payable on an exit using life interest trusts to maximise the availability of entrepreneurs’ relief.
- Earn-out planning: using a ‘profit warranty’ mechanism to secure the most efficient seller tax position where unascertainable consideration is included.
- VAT: advising a public sector client on the establishment of a special purpose vehicle to minimise irrecoverable VAT on a project to building and retain private rental sector housing.
- Stamp duty land tax: advising a major house builder on the design and implementation of a forward funding structure to deliver a significant housing project in a tax efficient manner whilst meeting key commercial objectives and advising on the correct VAT and Stamp Duty Land Tax treatment of the acquisition.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014