"I always get a sense from you that you are on our side. It’s good to know you have got our back covered."
Robert has worked at Freeths for over 10 years, having trained with the firm. He has a broad range of litigation experience and of cases covering different legal issues. This experience has allowed Robert to act for a wide variety of clients, from private individuals through to large commercial organisations (including in the public and not for profit sectors). He is therefore well placed to understand not only the needs of his own clients, but, significantly, those of the other parties to the dispute.
Having specialised his practice, the majority of Robert’s case load concerns contested estates, trust disputes, Inheritance Act claims and disputed lifetime gifts (including undue and Court of Protection disputes). Robert does however maintain a significant practice dealing with contractual disputes (both commercial and non-commercial) and disputes concerning property, in particular disputes between adjoining land owners and disputes between co-owners concerning quantification of interests.
Robert is a keen advocate of developing case strategy at the initial stages of litigation and providing a clear route to achieving client outcomes. Robert can provide helpful and practical advice from the outset, with a particular focus on how to resolve disputes in a cost-effective and timely way. He is sensitive to the needs of each client, focusing on the commercial and practical realities of the dispute.
Robert acts for companies and individuals in dispute over contractual arrangements and/or professional negligence. He has successfully brought claims on behalf of individuals who have suffered at the hands of negligent professional advice and he has also defended numerous contractual misrepresentation claims.
- Acting for a public authority in relation to a disputed commercial contract and securing a six figure settlement sum.
- Successfully defending a company at the pre-action stage from accusations that it had conspired with an employee of competitor to use the competitor’s confidential information.
- Acting on a case in relation to a £1 million breach of contract claim against a company and securing a seven figure settlement figure from a third party defendant.
Contentious Trusts & Probate
Robert deals with all types of inheritance and lifetime disputes, including will challenges, executor/trustee removal, Inheritance Act claims, contentious Court of Protection applications and deed interpretation challenges.
- Successfully defending a will challenge brought by a claimant against his defendant clients. The claim would have meant the defendants’ losing their home, but Robert successfully secured the transfer of the property over to his clients through High Court litigation.
- Negotiating the winding up of a disputed will trust, where the trustee had acted in breach of trust. Robert secured a six figure payment for the client when trust monies would otherwise have been inaccessible to the client for the duration of the trust.
- Representing various clients in Inheritance Act claims, resolving matters before trial through negotiation.
Robert’s property practice concerns non-landlord and tenant related matters. His main areas of work included disputes over jointly owned property (claims under the Trust of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996) and disputes over residential property. He has acted in several cases in Property Chamber, First Tier Tribunal, and is familiar with this specialist jurisdiction.
- Acting for a national housing developer in relation to a boundary dispute and negotiating a settlement which allowed the development to continue.
- Successfully defending a fraudulent claim brought against a charity concerning a series of property transfers and a deed purporting to create a right of way. Robert resolved the issues concerning the title registration, defended the claim against the company concerning an alleged right over their land and negotiated a costs contribution from the claimant in respect of his client’s costs.
- Extensive experience of disputes concerning neighbouring properties, such as access rights, parking rights, nuisance, trespass and boundaries.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014