"Shashi Chambers has developed a particular expertise in the aerospace industry. He has also continued to advise on various complex acquisitions and disposals."
(Chambers & Partners)
A highly experienced real estate lawyer, Shashi specialises in high value property transactions, development schemes and development finance work. He also has a keen interest in the transport and aviation sectors and has built up a notable practice in those areas. Shashi has many years’ experience of advising in a variety of commercial scenarios and transactions, often involving complex issues, and provides pragmatic and business-led solutions.
Shashi is listed as a Recommended lawyer in the Legal 500 (2019 Edition) and is ranked in Chambers (2019 Edition) as Up and Coming.
Transport & Logistics
Shashi has acted for a global logistics giant for several years. This has included advice on a variety of issues affecting their varied UK property portfolio, as well as estate management and acquisition and disposal programmes. He has a broad range of experience covering freehold matters, development projects and the full range of landlord and tenant transactions.
Shashi has built up impressive expertise in the airport sector. He acts for a number of airport operators, notably supporting the commercial teams – providing support on a wide variety of issues covering commercial contracts, procurement, tendering and retail concessions. Shashi has also advised on airport specific contracts and issues covering ground handling, car parking, PRM, forecourt access, airside works, ground transportation and security. He has gained experience in-house which brings real insight to his advice.
- Acting on the multimillion pound development and lease of a brand new distribution centre for a national logistics client. Negotiating a suite of development documents and an institutional lease for a bespoke development.
- Advising a major UK airport on a variety of commercial concession contracts following their redevelopment. Many contracts with leading UK retailers were worth millions of pounds.
- Acting on the development of a new 135,000 square foot logistics warehouse hub.
- Advising airports on concessions, procurement, tenders and commercial arrangements including bespoke contracts specific to airport operators.
- Advising a national client on a high value development and relocation transaction following the proposed introduction of the HS2 rail line through their existing depot. Shashi led the negotiation of the various development, project and relocation contracts.
- Advising airports on their procurement strategy, assisting with tenders and providing first hand support to the commercial team to ensure their business objectives with airport partners are met.
- Advising on specific and bespoke contracts covering airport specific areas. These include the PRM contract, ground handling licences, airport byelaws and contracts with UK authorities relating to security and policing at airports.
- Concessions agreements – acting extensively on multi million pound contracts in relation to food, retail and duty free outlets in airport terminals. These include the creation of bespoke agreements for airport expansion and the fitting out of new concession units.
- Overseeing the implementation of new contracts for the operation of car parks and the operation of ground transport services between the terminal and transportation hubs.
- Shashi advised on complex airport waste management and disposal contracts.
- Proactive management of property portfolios. In particular tenancy administration, licences to assign and advising on leases for commercial offices, hangars, retail and catering space within the terminals and industrial units landside. Creating ‘easy to use’ short form leases making it easy and quick to agree new lettings.
“Personable and easy to work with…His understanding of the airport and of the business has meant that his advice is commercial and practical.”(Swati Paul, GC, Luton Airport)
“Impressed by his ability to navigate through complex transactions with ease whilst providing the most practical commercial legal advice and support. Shashi’s natural approach makes you feel as if you are his most valued client and he dedicates the time to develop the relationship with TNT looking for mutually beneficial opportunities. He is flexible, responsive and a model for what General Counsel seek in external lawyers.”(Justin Clarke, GC, TNT UK)
“Always gets the job done…He seeks solutions to issues, rather than creating problems.”(Ronan Mellett, Chief Executive, Rego Property Group)
“Pro-active and easy to deal with – very personable, great energy and also highly professional.”(Simon Preece, Commercial Director, Bristol Airport)
“Standing out for his excellent negotiation skills.”(The Legal 500 )
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014