"I found Siobhan very approachable and easy to talk to and would recommend her to anyone."
Siobhan has over 25 years of experience in dealing with clinical negligence claims and has expertise across a broad range of cases. She offers a particular focus on high value birth injury claims for children and adults who have been left with significant disabilities and will require ongoing assistance with the activities of daily living.
Siobhan has settled a number of cases involving multi-million pound awards providing lifetime care, aids, equipment and accommodation. She is keen to ensure that she offers support and advice to her clients to make the process less overwhelming, her aim being to provide a personal and sympathetic approach.
Siobhan’s clients have described her as being approachable and supportive in what can sometimes be a difficult process.
- A. B. – Siobhan settled a birth injury case for £2.25 million.
- C. B. – Death of a young mother from metastatic cervical cancer – misreporting of smear test settled for £500,000.
- O. M. – Wrongful birth spina bifida. The case was settled for £500,000.
- M. S. – Misreporting smear test resulting in spread and recurrence of cervical cancer, settled for £225,000.
- Wrongful birth; failure to diagnose Down’s Syndrome during pregnancy. Settled for £1.2 million.
- Organ Retention Group Litigation; Siobhan represented several bereaved parents in the group litigation arising from the retention of deceased children’s’ organs without consent. This practice was subsequently abolished as a result of these cases.
- Birth injury, excessive use of syntocinon resulting in rupture of the uterus and brain damage to the baby. Siobhan settled the case for a £2 million lump sum, plus annual periodical payments for life.
- Siobhan acted on a birth injury case, due to a delay in proceeding to caesarean section. It was settled for a lump sum, with annual payments estimated to be valued overall in excess of £7 million.
Siobhan has represented a number of claimants who have suffered a brain injury at the time of their birth, leading to significant disabilities. She is particularly concerned to ensure that these clients obtain maximum compensation and that their needs for therapies, equipment and accommodation are properly met.
- Siobhan has achieved several multi-million pound settlements for her clients. A recent case involved over-use of Syntocinon; a drug used to induce labour. Syntocinon should be carefully monitored when used. In this case the uterus was over-stimulated and this situation was allowed to continue for a long period, leading to distress to the baby who suffered brain damage and was born with significant disabilities as a result of this. The settlement which was achieved in this case allowed the child to have access to lifetime care, aids and equipment and therapies that would not have been available to him through state provision. The family were also able to move out of their very small and unsuitable accommodation to more spacious accommodation allowing for a better quality of life for the child. The child was awarded a lump sum in excess of £2.5 million with ongoing annual payments.
To contact Siobhan or for more information…
- Law Society’s Specialist Clinical Negligence Panel
“I highly recommend Siobhan Genever at Freeths who showed the most compassionate and utmost professionalism when she recently acted for me for a negligence case against a care home for my dear late mother’s grade 4 sacral pressure sore and neglect. I felt the need to find some kind of peace and closure on behalf of my mother’s good name and importantly the need for better care in this home for other residents.”(G. B.)
“We cannot praise Siobhan highly enough for all that she did for us during this difficult time.”(T. B.)
“I felt that throughout the time that my claim was being investigated and pursued, Siobhan acted extremely competently, confidently and professionally, whilst also remaining very approachable and easy to talk to”.(M. L.)
“Please hire more people like Siobhan.”(R. S. )
“Siobhan made a very difficult time much easier for our family. Her support was invaluable and advice was exemplary, balanced and logical.”
“From the very first telephone call you have been supportive and understanding with regard to my absolute frustration with this case. Throughout the whole process I have always felt that I could ask you questions and I have understood the process and the challenges we have had to face. Thank you for your hard work and I will be recommending you to my friends and family should they ever be in such a situation.”
“Thank you very much for all your help with my mother’s claim, you made it less daunting than we imagined it would be.”
“Siobhan was great throughout my sons negligence claim; she was very helpful and always explained everything to us. We couldn’t have got through this without Siobhan, she was very helpful and supportive throughout the case. I would highly recommend Siobhan to anyone going through the same difficult situation we had to. Thank you for all your hard work and support Siobhan.”
“It has been a very difficult process for me but your constant guidance and support has been unfaltering. “
Sources describe her as “an excellent litigator who gets good results” on highly complex clinical negligence claims.(Chambers & Partners, 2019)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014