"Stephen acted for my client on a very complex claim. He was very hands on in understanding the detailed drawings and how damage may have arisen from the contractual work executed. Good inter personal skills helped resolve a difficult situation."
(Brian Robson, Head of Construction, Lothbury UK )
Stephen has over 20 years of dispute resolution experience, serving the requirements of businesses, insurance companies and private individuals.
Stephen’s areas of expertise include Fleet and Highways Damage Recoveries Programmes and Material Damage – Flood, Fire, Subsidence, Landslip and Impact. He is also a specialist in Product Liability, Professional Negligence Claims and Disputes regarding Insurance Policy, Commercial Contracts and Construction.
Stephen is listed as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 (2020 edition).
- Stephen creates and manages Damage to Crown Property (“DCP”) recovery programmes on behalf of a number of road network operators. He also manages and creates fleet damage programmes for logistics companies and their insurers.
- Recovering the reinstatement/repair costs of a fire caused by electrical contractors for a high net worth client in Chelsea.
- Acting on behalf of a global drinks manufacturer, following the recall of promotional tea mugs in a £1.3 million action against the product supplier.
- Defending a major construction company in an action by a local authority, following the failure of a sewer upgrade scheme.
- Pursued group litigation in the Technology and Construction Court for 22 residents in Rochdale, following landslip damage to their homes which arose from neighbouring construction work, resulting in a £1 million+ settlement.
- Defended a hoist manufacturer in a £1.5 million indemnity action, arising from catastrophic injury suffered by the end user.
- Advised the end supplier of the defective control system upon insurance policy issues, following the Buncefield refinery explosion.
- Acted for a local authority that had been refused indemnity by their insurers in the employer’s liability insurance policy trigger test case. The claim was pursued in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court and was successful throughout.
Stephen has a wealth of experience in resolving disputes, defending claims and securing financial losses in the Food, Manufacturing and Retail sectors. He has particular experience of product liability and quality/performance issues.
- Defended a major supermarket against 56 resident claims for nuisance during the construction phase and initial operation of a large superstore in Liverpool.
- Currently acting on behalf of a major food manufacturer in pursuing losses arising from the supply of defective ingredients.
- Secured a full indemnity in the Commercial Court on behalf of a commercial rendering business for losses sustained by themselves and their customers arising from the supply of animal by-products that did not accord with the enhanced regulations imposed following the BSE crisis.
“Stephen acted for my client on a very complex claim. He was very hands on in understanding the detailed drawings and how damage may have arisen from the contractual work executed. Good inter personal skills helped resolve a difficult situation.”(Brian Robson, Head of Construction, Lothbury UK)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014