"As a longstanding adviser to the LNT Group, Thomas leads the team providing our real estate legal services - and can be relied upon to provide a prompt, first class service and reacts quickly to our requirements. Thomas is pragmatic and approachable, and understands our needs."
(Philip Raven, Director, LNT Group)
A partner in Freeths’ Real Estate department, Thomas advises businesses (and individuals) on a variety of commercial property matters. These include acquisitions and disposals, refinancings and property development.
Whilst working across a broad range of areas, Thomas has particular expertise in the private care sector and acts for a number of household name care operators and developers. He offers significant experience in dealing with property aspects of banking/refinancing matters. Thomas also has extensive experience of dealing with institutional “sale and leaseback” funding transactions, including involving UK and US REITs.
Whilst he is a property lawyer by trade, Thomas has extensive experience of property aspects of corporate transactions, and has led property aspects on many share and business sale transactions. Thomas is also experienced in property finance transactions.
Thomas acts for a wide variety of developers on the acquisition, funding and disposal (including sale and leaseback) of property. He works across a wide variety of sectors; including residential development, student accommodation and multi-use schemes.
Thomas does, however, have extensive and particular expertise in dealing with real estate development transactions in the private care sector. He has acted on the acquisition of over 100 sites for care development over the last decade. This includes deals involving conditional purchase contracts, option agreements, sub-sale transactions and portfolio acquisitions.
- Advising on the acquisition and funding of over 100 sites for redevelopment as large residential care homes, with a total/aggregate developed value of over £400 million; along with the sale of many of these to institutional and operator purchasers. Sites have been acquired on conditional contract basis, option basis, auction basis and site assembly basis. Many sites have been part of wider estates and part of wider development masterplan with cross rights and obligations.
- Led a multidisciplinary team (including tax, construction and banking) on the complex acquisition (site assembly), development funding and sale to institutional investment fund of a state-of-the-art £9 million care home in the south of England.
- Acting for a developer on the freehold site assembly of residential development schemes – including on the basis of conditional contracts and option agreements. This included the legal scheme set-up for residential plots to be constructed by the developer.
Real Estate Finance
Thomas has acted on a variety of real estate finance transactions – on both bank and borrower sides. He has acted on finance matters involving traditional high street debt lenders, mezzanine funders and also financing transactions involving specialist investment vehicles such as REITs (both UK and US based). Thomas has also acted as part of corporate and banking multidisciplinary teams as part of complex funding structures (including dealing with company / group demergers and restructuring).
Thomas has particular experience in care sector financing, in particular relating to institutional sale and leaseback transactions.
- Acting for a major student accommodation provider in relation to a £35 million refinancing involving two principal lenders and one mezzanine lender.
- Advising on the acquisition and funding of over 100 sites for redevelopment, as large residential care homes, with a developed value of over £400 million and the sale of many of these to institutional and operator purchasers.
- Acting for the seller / tenant on the sale and leaseback of six new build residential care homes for a combined value of £30 million to an institutional fund (including negotiation of institutional 35 year lease).
- Led the property aspects of a £100 million+ refinancing and restructuring of national care home group, as part of a wider banking and corporate team.
- Acting on the property aspects of a £51 million institutional debt refinancing transaction for care home operator and developer.
“As a longstanding adviser to the LNT Group, Thomas leads the team providing our real estate legal services – and can be relied upon to provide a prompt, first class service and reacts quickly to our requirements. Thomas is pragmatic and approachable, and understands our needs.”(Philip Raven, Director, LNT Group)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014