masterful command of immigration law and displays a passionate understanding of the subject matter; he ‘displays excellent judgement and is able to advance his client’s case with exceptional clarity and persuasion’.
(The Legal 500, 2019)
Tom is a barrister and worked in government for the Home Office and Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs on a range of high profile and complex advisory and litigation matters. He has acted for national, multi-national and global companies, as well as for regulators such as the Bar Standards Board and Solicitors Regulation Authority. He is consistently highly rated in the legal directories and takes pride in delivering an outstanding service to his clients.
The three key areas of Tom’s practice are:
- Helping companies with the legal aspects of international expansion and recruitment. His UK service is aimed at businesses setting up in the UK, and bringing over teams from abroad. This service is also used by UK-based companies recruiting internationally, facing the challenges of Brexit. Tom also coordinates with external attorneys delivering this service in the US;
- Advising investors and entrepreneurs who are looking to invest overseas or start a business abroad, and secure residency or citizenship as part of that process. For this he works with global mobility specialists and international attorneys and he and his team handle the UK advice;
- Protecting his client’s overseas businesses and investments from unlawful regulatory action. He contributes his experience in government and in litigation arising from foreign investment, trade and overseas business. He has worked both for the UK government and in resolving disputes with foreign governments.
Tom’s expertise is invaluable for food businesses with a high volume of seasonal and overseas workers. He is able to advise on right to work checks and to assist with sponsorship licences for skilled workers.
His experience in the sector includes advising multi-site food processor and manufacturer, 2 Sisters Food Group with advise and training for managers.
- Brexit Briefing: The Fight for the Deal
- Special Brexit Briefing: The Withdrawal Agreement
- Brexit Briefing: Mixed Signals Over Right to Work
- Brexit Briefing: May visits Brussels to see the EU27
- Brexit Briefing: News from the Conservative conference
- Brexit Briefing: Crunch Time for Theresa May
- Brexit Briefing – MAC report
- Brexit Briefing: Opposition to Chequers Plan
- Brexit Briefing: Prepare for Post-Brexit Britain
- Brexit Briefing: Deal or No Deal
- Brexit Briefing: Will there be a Referendum 2.0?
- Brexit Briefing: David Davis Resigns
- Brexit Briefing: Restarting Stalled Negotiations
- Brexit Briefing: Parliament Ping Pong
- Brexit Briefing: What will happen to Britons living in the EU?
- End of restrictions for Croatian workers
- Keep your immigration recruitment GDPR compliant
- Quick Guide – Tier 2 Sponsor Licence Compliance Requirements
- Brexit Briefing: The Customs Agreement Conundrum
- Advice for European Nationals Living in the UK
- Recruitment And Planning For Brexit – Food Sector
- The Windrush Scandal
- Planning for your workforce post Brexit
- Brexit Briefing: It’s the Final Countdown
- Brexit: Is Your Business Ready? – Oxford – 26th April 2018 – 25th April 2019
- Business unprepared for skill gap left by migrant workforce
- Brexit Update: The Withdrawal Agreement
- Brexit Briefing: EU Transition Terms Agreed
- Business Immigration: RCOS Allocation
- Absences & Immigration Rules
- Immigration Statistics: October – December 2017
- Business Immigration – Legal Update
- Agriculture Newsletter – Autumn 2017
To contact Tom or for more information…
“Superb.”(The Legal 500, 2017)
“Ideal choice for contentious business immigration matters.”(Chambers & Partners, 2016)
“Ruthlessly efficient and client focused.”(The Legal 500, 2016)
“Knows his law inside-out.”(The Legal 500, 2016)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014