"Director Vickie Williams is a good team player and takes a commercial approach."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
Vickie has over 10 years experience in commercial dispute resolution. She is familiar with all stages in the process from pre-action negotiations through to trial and enforcement of Judgments and orders.
Vickie acts for a wide range of clients including Multinational Companies, Insolvency Practitioners (including International IPs), Outsourcing Companies, Insurers, Breweries, Construction Companies, Property Managing Agents, Professional Sports Teams, Events Organisers, Landowners and high net worth individuals. These have been in sectors such as Insurance, Food and Drink, Entertainment, Hospitality, Manufacturing, Sports, Claims Management and Banking and Finance.
She also advises on breach of warranty claims, partnership disputes and claims in relation to breach of fiduciary duties – as well as charitable trusts including cases that may require third party professional funding including sourcing ATE insurance cover litigation funding.
Vickie is listed as a Recommended Lawyer in the Legal 500 (2020 edition).
Vickie tries, where possible, to settle claims and disputes without the need for litigation by negotiation or mediation where possible. However, if settlement cannot be reached, she has substantial experience of running cases to trial and then dealing with enforcement of judgments – which can sometimes become as protracted and complex as the trial itself.
- Represented a client in a dispute regarding shareholdings and bonus payments following a constructive dismissal. Vickie engaged in a full day mediation which led to a very favourable settlement for the client which included complex proposals regarding tax deductions and deferred payments.
- Vickie recently represented a London Borough in a full day mediation regarding a contractual dispute which led to wider commercial, public and political issues being negotiated with a timetable for implementation being agreed.
Commercial Dispute Management
Vickie has taken cases to expert determination resulting in decisions being made in a matter of months. This has included successfully representing a high profile outsourcing provider in a claim for significant monies due under a complex contract of services.
- Vickie successfully represented a high profile outsourcing services provider in a claim against the Home Office regarding the interpretation of a complex services agreement. The dispute was referred to Expert Determination and a determination was achieved in 3 months which found the majority of the five heads of dispute in her client’s favour.
- Advising a local authority in relation to a significant contractual dispute of a high profile and iconic sports venue within the London Borough, and advising on the future management of the venue taking into account the financial impact on the client. Vickie has been advising on the contractual interpretation of numerous contracts in place with third parties. She has been on hand for not only legal advice, but also strategic and commercial advice and has shown her commitment to the client by having daily calls to keep up to date with internal developments within the client’s internal policy and decision making. She always takes into account the wider political and social impacts of the decisions being made.
- Vickie is currently defending an Irish company in Arbitration proceedings brought by a Nigerian company claiming damages of over £7 million for breach of a memorandum of understanding, which includes a claim for projected commissions and loss of profits as well as general damages. The dispute involves complex contractual interpretation and analysis of complex financial structures with foreign third parties.
- Advising a shareholder in relation to a dispute with co-shareholders, regarding a shareholding within a highly successful and niche business valued at over £1 million. Vickie has advised on the underlying dispute and related commercial issues which come into play in such disputes.
- Representing and advising a Harley Street medical practice in a claim against a high profile medical insurer in relation to reimbursement of medical expenses for foreign students in England and Wales, which has extracted a significant settlement proposal from the insurer without the need to issue proceedings.
Insolvency & Corporate Recovery
Vickie is also experienced in insolvency matters. She acts for Insolvency Practitioners bringing claims against directors in relation to antecedent transactions, misfeasance and wrongful/fraudulent trading as well as defending directors in respect of these claims. She also advises directors in relation to defending disqualification proceedings.
Commercial Contract Disputes
Vickie has acted for large national and international clients in complex contractual disputes against the Ministry of Justice, the Home Office and the Department for Work and Pensions. These have been in relation to interpreting and exiting contracts relating to managed service solutions, each of which had significant wider commercial and political considerations and were of a highly sensitive nature as well as highly confidential.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014