"I was incredibly impressed to see a case that I believed could go either way, delivered proficiently and in such a professional manner that I was never in doubt of the outcome and we were awarded costs too. Once again thanks for your help in this matter, I am sure we will be in touch again and I will certainly recommend your service to other departments in the council."
(East Midlands Borough Council)
Victoria specialises in environmental law including; environmental permitting, contaminated land, odour and noise issues and waste. She assists clients with all aspects of environmental regulation and permitting, environmental litigation, enforcement action and/or prosecution for environmental offences. Victoria also advises on information governance in a environmental context, including the Environmental Information Regulations 2004, Data Protection Act 1998 and Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Victoria previously worked in local government for 3 years. She covered all types of civil and criminal litigation including injunctions, enforcement and private prosecutions, in addition to providing information governance advice.
- Advising on statutory noise abatement notice appeals in the Magistrates’ Court. This included issuing and acting for large commercial clients throughout the appeal process. She also analysed practical solutions to reduce the client’s legal costs, and Liaised with expert and client teams to gather important evidence to support our client’s case and/or defence.
- Providing commercially-focussed advice on the removal of peat which was excavated from our client’s land. This included giving advice on the environmental permitting regulations and the CI:AIRE Code of Practice.
- Drafting environmental based easements and agreements for various clients. This included easements on discharge licences and an agreement to fund habitat improvements on the River Amber.
- Providing bespoke training programmes to Local Authorities on the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA).
Victoria has experience of Local Government Law, including advising on all aspects of housing services, tenancy and housing enforcement (possession, injunctions, closures), advising on all aspects of homelessness and housing allocations, advising on information governance including data protection, and freedom of information and all aspects of regulatory services.
She also has expertise in Environmental Law, including all aspects of environmental permitting and regulation, environmental enforcement (both civil and criminal) and environmental constraints within the planning regime.
- Regulatory – fly tipping and waste offences, enforcement of bye laws including littering and dog control orders, statutory nuisance and taxi prosecutions.
- Data Protection Officer – dealing with enquiries and breaches of the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information Act.
- Housing Services – including breach of tenancy, mediation, possession (introductory tenants, secure tenants, non secure tenants, unlawful occupiers) on discretionary and mandatory grounds.
- Homelessness – decisions, reviews, fraudulent misrepresentation, suitability, discharge of duty and possession.
- Antisocial behaviour – on notice and without notice injunctions, committals, closure orders and possession. Full experience of all new powers under the Antisocial behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 in both the civil and criminal courts including, CPNs, CBOs, closure orders, mandatory possession conditions and IPNA’s.
- Debt Recovery – money judgments, charging orders, bankruptcy and insolvency.
- Private Sector housing – advice and enforcement of hazards, HMOs, landlord and tenant obligations and statutory notices.
- Leicestershire Junior Lawyers Division (committee member)
“I was incredibly impressed to see a case that I believed could go either way, delivered proficiently and in such a professional manner that I was never in doubt of the outcome and we were awarded costs too. Once again thanks for your help in this matter, I am sure we will be in touch again and I will certainly recommend your service to other departments in the council.”(East Midlands Borough Council)
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014