Helping you to help others
What is involved?
Running a charity is about changing lives, not just making money; we want you to focus on your positive actions rather than on having to negotiate legal obstacles and struggle with compliance. We understand that these are difficult times for charities – especially if you’re being challenged to become self-sustainable. Getting the right legal advice will help you to survive and thrive, whatever your cause.
A charity or other social enterprise has to be realistic and commercially aware to succeed. You require cost-effective and demonstrable added value from your professional advisers. Whether you’re looking for advice on how GDPR will affect your fundraising efforts, or assistance in negotiating a major agreement with a new commercial partner, we can help you to help others.
Why choose Freeths?
- We act for over 200 charities and not-for-profit organisations with a diverse range of needs
- Our Charity team is recommended by the Legal 500 (an independent guide to the legal profession), so you can trust our knowledge and expertise
- We offer a straightforward, informal approach to achieving the results you want
- Our team includes trustees, school governors and fundraisers who understand the issues you face
- We’re fully committed to the charity sector and will work closely with your team to meet your charity’s objectives
Freeths can offer you commercially-minded legal services, focused on managing risk and helping you to get the most impact from your limited resources. Whether you’re protecting the environment or providing care for the most vulnerable people in your community – we’re passionate about providing you with succinct, practical support.
Our experience includes acting for a wide variety of enterprises, from national high profile names to local grassroots organisations, all of which share the goal of making a difference. From setting up a fledgling charity to advising on your governance and the regulatory framework in which you operate, we offer high quality advice, delivered in a friendly and responsive way.
0845 050 3273
0186 578 1020
0186 578 1168
0186 578 1079
Managing Partner - Oxford
0186 578 1055
Managing Partner - Stoke
0845 077 9610
0186 578 1061
0845 166 6305
0845 030 5803
0845 050 3664
0186 578 1154
0845 050 3600
0845 128 6968
0845 404 4133
0845 272 5719
0186 578 1148
0845 128 6962
01865 781 023
0845 017 1133
0186 578 1151
Freeths return the support to the Queen Elizabeth hospitalNews 21st Feb 2018
Freeths enjoy new entries and improved rankings in the Legal 500News 19th Oct 2017
Charity update: Getting you ready for the GDPRArticles 2nd Aug 2017
"I just wanted to say another big thank you for all of your support. These things are never easy and straightforward but your help always makes them much more manageable for us and is greatly appreciated."
(Major Charity Client)
"We have been impressed by Oliver’s excellent work in helping us with our EU GDPR project; Oliver’s sound and practical advice has been invaluable. His expertise in such a specialist area is very impressive, and he has gone above and beyond expectations to meet our needs."
(Valentine Steadman, Corporate and Legal Services Manager, The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds)
"The 'very impressive' Mark Emery advises on all employment law and HR matters for clients ranging from businesses and charities to individuals."
(Chambers & Partners, 2016)
"Robert Nieri is noted for his dispute resolution and commercial law expertise."
(The Legal 500, 2017)
"Robert's responsive and thorough eye for detail has proved to be invaluable over the last 12 months. His knowledge of charitable law and regulation has ensured his advice and guidance has been detailed and relevant to work within the third sector."
"I thought the Pensions team at Freeths dealt with everything very professionally and in good time throughout. I really enjoyed working with the team."
(HR Director of a large military charity)
- Acted for a charity in its defence to public procurement challenge proceedings brought by a disappointed bidder for Olympic legacy contracts. This was one of the first cases to impose the automatic suspension in the Public Contracts (Amendments) Regulations 2009. This was resolved on terms favourable to the charity.
- Acted for a charity in relation to the substantial acquisition of a multi-let multi-use commercial property in London. This was by way of grant of an intermediate head lease, subject to the various occupational leases to form part of its endowment funding its operations. The transaction was to a tight timescale.
- Advised one of the largest UK conservation charities on its approach to habitat restoration of large areas of redundant land, using waste materials taken from other large infrastructure projects disposing of these materials.
- Advised a charity with a substantial property portfolio on all aspects of its asset management industry investment purchases and sales of development schemes.
- Advising charities in relation to complex tax issues. This includes calculating inheritance tax liabilities where there is an interaction of the grossing up and abatement rules, advising on Re Benham grossing requirements, negotiations with HM Revenue and Customs, and advising on the mitigation of capital gains tax.
- Advising on and implementing the appointment of a joint general manager for two charities where the manager was employed by one charity and seconded for part of the working week to the second charity.
- Settling favourably, on behalf of various national charities, two separate sensitive and complex spousal Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975 claims.
- Liaising on a weekly basis with the Charity Commission in the creation of new corporate entities, in managing requests for various approvals and in the resolution of various regulatory issues.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014