Public Sector Health & Care
Giving the right diagnosis
What is involved?
Public healthcare is an emotive subject – knowing how the legal and regulatory boundaries can affect you is essential to keeping your service and its users protected. Our lawyers are at the forefront of legal developments within the healthcare market and help a wide range of clients including NHS Trusts, NHS Property Services Limited, GPs and not for profit providers.
We can advise you on a broad range of matters including commercial agreements, real estate and construction, dispute management, employment and pensions, governance and regulatory, intellectual property, IT and data, and private-public partnerships.
Why choose Freeths?
- Extensive knowledge of the regulatory regime, giving you peace of mind that legal advice is always going to be right for you
- A dedicated, multi-disciplinary team handling everything from governance to disputes
- Active involvement with over 80 public health bodies, meaning that we are at the forefront of what is happening in the sector
Our team’s experience includes advising on high profile and sensitive employment claims, innovative PPP and outsourcing transactions (including a number of ‘market firsts’) and procurement. We specialise in complex governance and regulatory matters and public enquiries, often conducted under intense media scrutiny.
Because of our extensive experience of the sector, we understand the legal and regulatory boundaries that could affect you. With multi-disciplinary lawyers at hand, we have both the resource and the specialist knowledge to guide you through the most complex of matters professionally, practically, and expertly.
Who have we worked with
- NHS Shared Services with over 80 participating health and care bodies
- NHS Property Services
- Community Health Partnerships
- NHS Commercial Alliance
Public Sector Health & Care Lawyers
0345 166 6300
0345 050 3602
0345 634 2606
0345 017 1122
0345 030 5758
0345 274 6900
0345 050 3650
Migration and the healthcare workforce in the UK – migration observatory reportArticles 9th Jul 2023
On The List: Care Workers Eligible for Skilled Worker VisasArticles 4th Mar 2022
Perinatal Institute v Healthcare Quality Improvement PartnershipArticles 22nd Aug 2017
"Had it not been for your very careful management and close attention to detail, I am sure the outcome would have not been nearly as positive."
"Really committed to getting difficult deals done."
"We are grateful to Freeths' Health care team for accepting instructions on an urgent basis and ensuring that we retained our commissioning contract despite an appeal by a competitor. Attention to detail and the support provided throughout was first class although the fee paid was fixed."
"Freeths provides an ideal balance between City-level professionalism and regional costs and approachability. They have an excellent grasp of the healthcare sector, which allows them to identify key aspects of a transaction that require particular attention."
(The Legal 500, 2021)
- Care UK Clinical Services, independent provider of health and social care, joint venture with Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust on a large and complex clinical servicing outsourcing scheme.
- Acting on a wide range of real estate issues on behalf of a number of Liftcos. These involve some technically significant points such as surrenders of lease and sub-leases and variations of lease plus agreements. In particular the team advised on the property aspects of a £37.5m LIFT Scheme involving land in multiple ownerships, to be amalgamated, and off site works on an adjoining church with the land post development to be used for doctors’ surgeries and pharmacies.
- Acting in a Judicial Review concerning NHS England in considering the proposed suspension of a GP on Patient safety grounds and the relevance of S149 Equality Act Duties.
- Act for NHS Property Services Limited on a wide-range of portfolio management matters concerning its vast estate. Instructions range from ‘bread-and-butter’ lease renewals to high value dilapidations disputes, restrictive covenant issues affecting proposed developments, contested break options and planning advice.
- Successfully handled long running high profile case for a Mental Health Trust involving a Trade Union representative which involved long periods of industrial action.
- Advising and representing NHS organisation in an unfair dismissal and disability discrimination claim.
- Advising on a Section 2 NHS Act review into the criminal activity of a GP who had abused patients.
- Drafting the Data Protection policy related to the use of NHS patient records by a UK operator of Renal Dialysis Clinics, taking account of contractual obligations and disclosure of patient records to a Swiss-based company in connection with drug trials.
- Acting for a contractor in relation to the construction of two PFI community hospitals.
- Advice on optimising the procurement process at the outset of a project – for example ‘market sounding’, PIN, OJEU advert, Contract Notice and Contract Award drafting, advice on selecting the most appropriate procurement procedure.
- Advising an NHS body on issues relating to procurement of a contract for the provision of medical services to a company owned by GP’s.
- Acting for a major pharmaceutical company on the regulatory aspects of providing mobile eye clinics to be operated within NHS sites.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014