Are you ready for ESOS and SECR?
As you may be aware, 2019 has been an important year for energy reporting. In April, the Government introduced the new Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting Framework (“SECR”), and the compliance deadline for the second four-year phase of the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (“ESOS”) is fast approaching.
Non-compliance can bring penalties of up to £90,000 in the case of ESOS and unlimited fines in the case of SECR so, if your company is caught, it is crucial that both are placed at the top of your agenda over the coming months.
Who is caught?
- Companies with over 250 employees on the relevant qualification date
- Companies with an annual turnover exceeding €50 million and a balance sheet exceeding €43 million on the relevant qualification date
- Quoted companies
- Unquoted companies and LLPs with two of the below:
- Over 250 employees
- Annual turnover exceeding £36 million
- Annual balance sheet exceeding £18 million
ESOS: 5th December 2019: Phase 2 Compliance Date
SECR: from 1st April 2020: First SECR reports will be due
If you’re not sure whether you’re caught by the ESOS and/or the SECR framework, or if you need some guidance about your obligations, please get in touch with a member of our Energy & Waste team:
- Clare King – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kirstin Roberts – email@example.com
- Penny Simpson – firstname.lastname@example.org
The content of this page is a summary of the law in force at the date of publication and is not exhaustive, nor does it contain definitive advice. Specialist legal advice should be sought in relation to any queries that may arise.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014