Habitats Regulations Assessments Legal Training Course – Live Webinar – 14 October 2020
For Developers and Environmental Professionals Advising Developers. Two half-day sessions (both must be attended)
We are delivering our tried and tested Freeths LLP Habitats Regulations Assessments (HRA) legal training course online (via Zoom) over 2 half-days.
This is a legal course for developers and environmental professionals (who are advising developers) on Habitats Regulations Assessments. It focuses on how to approach assessing development projects and to deliver a legally compliant “shadow HRA” so as to secure the necessary consents from competent authorities.
The two half-day sessions will be as follows:
Wednesday 14th October 2020, 9:30am – 12:30pm – HRA legal course part 1 (length: 3 hours with a 15 minute break half way through)
Thursday 15th October 2020, 9:30am – 12:30pm – HRA legal course part 2 (length: 3 hours with a 15 minute break half way through)
First Half Day (Part 1)
- Overview of the HRA regime
- Existing legislation
- Impacts of Brexit and Government policy indications for the future
- Which sites get protection?
- Legal meaning of plans and projects (including the “Dutch nitrogen” rulings on this point)
- Qualifying features and conservation objectives
- Priority Natural Habitats Types and Priority Species
- Composite sites
- Who has to do HRA?
- Role of / impacts on developers / NE
- Key differences between HRA and SEA / EIA
- Using correct terminology
- Legal difference between HRA mitigation and HRA compensatory measures
- Up to date caselaw on valid mitigation eg “Briels”, “Hilde Orleans”, “Grace & Sweetman” and the “Dutch Nitrogen cases”
- At what HRA stage can mitigation measures lawfully be taken into account – “People over Wind” and how to respond
Second Half Day (Part 2)
Stage 1: Screening
- Correct legal approach to “in combination” effects including relevant caselaw
- Air quality including “Wealden case” and NE’s July 2018 traffic / AQ guidance
Stage 2: Appropriate Assessment
- The integrity test and the position under the “Dutch nitrogen cases” when sites are in unfavourable condition
- Conservation objectives and what habitats and species must be covered: European caselaw “Holohan”
- In combination effects
- Air quality including NE’s July 2018 traffic / AQ guidance and recent domestic caselaw “Compton Parish Council”
- Hydrological impacts including phosphates and nitrates mitigation
- Pollution / dust impacts
- Functionally linked land
- Recreational impacts
- Applying the derogation tests
- Key HRA Tips
£245* / £265 per ticket (plus VAT) *early bird offer (limited spaces). These prices include a booking fee.
All course materials will be provided electronically.
Even though we are delivering this course via Zoom, we are limiting places to 25 as we want people to be able to ask questions and interact throughout as normally happens at our courses. So we do recommend that you book your place as soon as possible.
To book your place please click the link below. Note that you will be directed to the Eventbrite website in order to pay and reserve your place on this course.
Click here to secure your place
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014