Diversity & Equality
A forward-thinking and inclusive workplace
Freeths are committed to giving everyone an opportunity to succeed, regardless of their background, race, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, disability, religion or belief, age, social background or part-time status. We are proud to be as diverse as our clients.
We believe that our inclusive attitude and eagerness to try new things gives us an edge in the legal field. For example, we pick our trainees and graduates based on their talent rather than the name of their university. From finding innovative ways of working to building trust in our varied clients, diversity underpins our success. Our aim is to attract, develop and retain the brightest lawyers in the UK from many walks of life.
An award-winning and nationally recognised firm
Diversity is not just a box-ticking exercise for us. We are proud to be nationally recognised as an equal opportunities employer, recently winning ‘Firm of the Year’ at the UK Diversity Legal Awards.
Freeths are also:
- We are Stonewall Diversity Champions
- We are signatories of Business Disability Forum and are currently working through our Action Plan following a recent audit of our processes from an accessibility and disability inclusion perspective
- A partner of Change 100 – an internship scheme for talented disabled students and graduates
- ‘Small Employer of the Year’ in the enei (Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion) Awards
- We are an employer member of the Tommy’s Pregnancy and Parenting at Work programme
- We are an employer member of Working Families and we are happy to talk flexible working in relation to any of our vacancies
- We are active in the communities, using our D&I pledge to engage with local and national projects such as action tutoring, or locally the brilliant club (from our Oxford office) amongst other projects.
- Mentoring schemes with local universities and colleges across the UK and we have a partnership with Young Diverse World Changers where we have 50 mentoring partnerships supporting disadvantaged students into a career in law);
- The Legal Scholarship scheme – a bursary and paid work experience at our Milton Keynes office
- Our corporate social responsibility programme encompasses a wide range of fundraising initiatives for both local and national charities each year
- We have trained 38 Mental Health First AidersWe are members of NOTICED – the Uk’s first inter law diversity forum hosting events, training, networking opportunities aimed at increasing diversity within the legal profession.
- For us, its important that our activities under ESG are aligned. As an incentive to sign up to our D&I pledge we committed to planting a tree for every person who signed up in the first year of launching the pledge, so over the next 2 years in partnership with the Tree Council, we will be planting 500 trees.
Our Diversity & Equal Opportunities Policy in action
Our Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy is at the heart of our recruitment, employment, promotion and training. Individuals are selected, promoted and treated on the basis of their abilities and merits. We are active in rewarding enthusiastic, motivated people with a healthy work-life balance and great benefits.
We do more than just comply with the law. In addition to fair employment, our policy of non-discrimination extends to dealing with customers, providing our services, and appointing counsel and other experts.
You can expect to be treated with the respect, courtesy and consideration that we show to each other.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014