Digital & Social Media
What is involved?
In the fast paced world of the internet, there is plenty of scope for third parties to abuse your intellectual property online, particularly in the field of trade marks and passing off. Protecting your brand online is now one of the most important issues businesses face.
We boast an impeccable track record for recovering domain names and resisting attempts to recover lawfully obtained domain names on behalf of our client’s. This is aided by our access to a range of investigative tools which can uncover patterns of abuse including reverse whois searches and access to archive records.
The Freeths team have a wealth of experience tackling online infringers and boast specialist knowledge of the kind of disputes that can arise on the internet.
Why choose Freeths?
- Our team has been involved in hundreds of domain disputes in recent years, at both Nominet (the .co.uk registry) and WIPO (.com etc)
- Recent statistics published by Nominet showed that our domain team at Freeths was one of the most prolific users of the Nominet Dispute Resolution Service
- Our lawyers also have specialist knowledge in filing complaints via Facebook, Twitter and Google etc. Lawyer, Jonathan Mayner , was involved in a landmark case relating to Google Adwords
Call our experienced team of Intellectual Property lawyers to find out more.
- Domain Name Disputes – Freeths can provide legal assistance to help you to recover a domain (or defend the case), whether it be against a cyber squatter or a competitor who has registered a domain in which you have rights. We have represented clients in hundreds of domain disputes at both Nominet (the .uk registry) and at WIPO (who adjudicate top level domain disputes like .com).
- Domain Name Portfolio Management – We also manage our client’s domain portfolios, no matter how big or small. Having a portfolio of domains under one umbrella helps clients protect and enforce their key brands. It also enables us to provide strategic advice in relation to new domain registrations. Alongside this we regularly assist clients with domain acquisitions and transfers, drafting of domain transfer agreements and advice relating to domain transactions.
- Social Media – We regularly deal with and advise on a range of issues arising out of social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This is often a minefield for potential disputes including data protection and privacy issues, defamation and malicious falsehood, advertising issues relating to the unauthorised use of names and images, fake profiles and the posting of scam voucher offers.
- Website Copyright Infringement – One issue that regularly arises online concerns infringement of copyright on websites. This type of infringement ranges from a 100% copy of a website, often for fraudulent purposes, or the copying of brochures, databases, text or images.
- Advertising Keywords – The use of a trade mark or sign as an Advertising Keyword is a common way to improve the way in which a website is displayed by a particular search engine. However third parties sometimes use trade marks or signs in which they have no rights, in order to benefit from people searching for those keywords and appearing as a top sponsored link. The most common example relates to misuse of a competitor’s name as keywords or in advertisements in Google Adwords, or Google AdSense.
- Online Advertising Disputes – Other advertising issues we encounter include complaints by competitors or others to the Advertising Standards Authority concerning the content of an online advertisement.
Digital & Social Media Lawyers
0845 634 2583
0845 166 6251
0845 404 1730
0845 634 1735
0845 070 3811
Franchise Bulletin: Social media – legal top tips for marketing on social platforms (Part 2)Articles 2nd Jun 2015
Franchise Bulletin: Social media: Legal top tips for marketing on social platforms (Part 1)Articles 20th Mar 2015
"Freeths handled our case and represented Really Good Domains Ltd in both a Domain Name Dispute and Company Name Tribunal dispute against the same respondent. They quickly understood the key facts of our complaints and presented the relevant facts in a clear, well presented manner. In both cases we were successful and had the domain names transferred to us and the respondent was ordered to change their company name. I would definitely recommend Freeths to anyone dealing with a situation like ours where another company is infringing IP rights online or passing off."
(David Timmis, MD of ContractHireAndLeasing.com)
"Provides commercially minded, practical advice and understands our business aims."
"One of the most reactive and effective firms in the UK."
(The Legal 500)
- Successful strike-out of a defamation claim arising from online publications on review websites against a client in the home furnishings industry, for abuse of process and lack of jurisdiction.
- Advising a client in the entertainment industry on the defence of a defamation and misuse of private information action brought by a booking agent, in relation to publications made on Facebook.
- Advising an individual in a complaint against a regional Police force for misuse of private information and breach of personal data by publication on the force’s social media, including Facebook page and YouTube channel, leading to widespread national media coverage.
- Successfully obtaining an ex-parte interim injunction in the High Court for a client against a television personality. This was for the misuse of private information on social media (Facebook and Twitter) and in an online autobiography sold on the Amazon website.
- Advising on a long-term strategy against an online industry publication and anonymous online bloggers engaging in a campaign of harassment and publishing defamatory and malicious content about our client and its managing director in the printing industry.
- Advising a corporate client in relation to the strategy to employ against parody Facebook and other social media accounts containing defamations and malicious falsehoods.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 13 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014