Inner Hero banner Image

Temporary Work – Creative, Charity and Religious Workers

UK Temporary Worker Visas: Creative Worker, Charity Worker and Religious Worker

If you are an overseas national who wants to work in the UK on a temporary basis in the creative sector or for a charity or faith-based organisation, you may be eligible for one of the following UK Temporary Worker visas:

  • Creative Worker: This visa is for people who work in the creative industry, such as actors, dancers, musicians, film crew or artists. You can apply for this visa if you have a certificate of sponsorship from a UK-based organisation that is licensed to sponsor creative workers. You can stay in the UK for up to 12 months, or up to 24 months in certain circumstances.
  • Charity Worker: This visa is for people who want to do voluntary work for a UK-based charity that is registered with the Charity Commission or the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator. You can apply for this visa if you have a certificate of sponsorship from the charity that you intend to work for. You can stay in the UK for up to 12 months. You cannot do any paid work while you are here.
  • Religious Worker: This visa is for people who want to do religious work in a non-pastoral role or as part of a religious order in the UK. You can apply for this visa if you have a certificate of sponsorship from a UK-based organisation that is licensed to sponsor religious workers. You can stay in the UK for up to 24 months.

To apply for any of these visas, you must meet certain requirements, such as having enough funds to support yourself and your dependants, paying the immigration health surcharge and meeting the English language requirement (if applicable), and providing a TB certificate (if required).

To issue a Certification of Sponsorship (CoS) for migrants to perform or work in dance, theatre, opera, film, television, or as a fashion model, sponsors must consider the residence labour market before offering the role to an overseas national.

You usually need to secure entry clearance in this category before you can come to the UK unless you are a

non-visa national seeking entry for a period of 3 months or less under the Creative Worker visa concession. You must still meet all the eligibility criteria including having a previously arranged Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from an approved sponsor, which is then activated at the border.

Your dependent partner and dependent children can apply to accompany or join you in the UK on the Temporary Worker route.

There are also temporary work visa routes available for interns, people undertaking work experience and sponsored researchers; see our guide on Government Authorised Exchange Visas here . Additionally, people can secure visa clearance on a temporary basis as a Graduate , on the Youth Mobility Scheme , as a Seasonal Worker  of as an Overseas Domestic Worker 

How Freeths can help you

At Freeths Solicitors, we have a team of experienced immigration lawyers who can assist you with all aspects of your Temporary Worker visa application. We can help you with:

  • Advising you on which Temporary Worker visa category is suitable for you.
  • If you are a sponsor, assisting you in obtaining and assigning a certificate of sponsorship.
  • Helping you with preparing and submitting your Temporary Worker visa application and supporting documents
  • Liaising with the Home Office on your behalf and resolving any issues or queries
  • Advising you on how to comply with the conditions and restrictions of your Temporary Worker visa

Our team of immigration solicitors can help by advising on whether this route provides the best fit, assessing the documentation, assisting with drafting documents as required and preparing and submitting the required visa application.

Contact us today to find out how we can help you with your Temporary Worker visa.

Get in touch


  • JZ

    "The service you provided was perfect. I would definitely use your company again. Thank you"

    Junping Zhang

  • LC

    “The Business Immigration team’s support has been invaluable to the University over a number of years, and in particular lately on Brexit, enabling...

    Lisa Courtney, University of Leeds

  • "Excellent support from the Freeths team. They have been able to answer all of our queries and provide the best advice in the given situation."

    The Legal 500, 2024

  • "We have worked with Freeths for in excess of 20 years. They have taken time to fully understand our business, how we work and what our standards a...

    The Legal 500, 2023

  • “I have always been happy with the advice and support received.”

    Chambers & Partners, 2023

Related news & articles

1 of 1
  • Article

    The Migration Advisory Committee’s rapid review of the Graduate route

  • Article

    Imposter workers and illegal working within the delivery services

  • Article

    Sunak declines Youth Mobility Scheme offer between the EU and the UK

  • Article

    EU Commission proposes to open youth mobility negotiations between the EU and the UK

  • Article

    Economic Benefits of the Graduate Route

  • Article

    The Home Office accepts recommendations for improvements to the immigration system in the social care sector.

  • Article

    Confirmation of the Skilled Worker Changes 2024

  • Article

    Citizens Advice raises concerns about exploitation in the care sector

  • Article

    Government Commissions Review of Graduate Route Visa

  • Article

    The UK’s Wholly Digital Immigration System

  • Article

    Update on skilled worker minimum salary increase

  • Article

    Right to work penalties are set to triple

Get in touch

Contact us today

Whatever your legal needs, our wide ranging expertise is here to support you and your business, so let’s start your legal journey today and get you in touch with the right lawyer to get you started.


Get in touch

For general enquiries, please complete this form and we will direct your message to the most appropriate person.